Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reading Comprehension #help

Hi guys! What is the best way to approach RC? I tried the low resolution method which helped tremendously and I was able to raise my score from -12 to -3 to -5. However, I am aiming for 175 for October so I tried the Blueprint. It was helpful to learn about structure but now I find myself going back to the passage about 5-6 times because I get so focused on structure that I miss out on the content of the passage. I only went back to read referenced lines when I was using the low res method.

Is there a way to combine the two or approach the section another way to score -0 to -2 consistently? I think it can be done but only with the right approach. Thank you!

Comments

• jer_3596jer_3596 Alum Member
    34 karma

how long did it take you to get from -12 to -3/-5?

• GoTribe21GoTribe21 Member
    62 karma

What’s the low resolution method?

• AlexLSAT.AlexLSAT. Alum Member
    785 karma

@Shambhabi said:
    Hi guys! What is the best way to approach RC? I tried the low resolution method which helped tremendously and I was able to raise my score from -12 to -3 to -5. However, I am aiming for 175 for October so I tried the Blueprint. It was helpful to learn about structure but now I find myself going back to the passage about 5-6 times because I get so focused on structure that I miss out on the content of the passage. I only went back to read referenced lines when I was using the low res method.

Is there a way to combine the two or approach the section another way to score -0 to -2 consistently? I think it can be done but only with the right approach. Thank you!

This comment might not be in the direction you were looking for, but if you're consistently scoring -3 on RC, I honestly would focus on getting the other two sections up, netting you a 175. What are your LR and LG scores? These two sections are a lot easier to improve quickly than RC, and I feel that you might have to spend a long time just to achieve 1-2 points of improvement. If you're getting a -0 on LG and -2 on LR, you have your goal score.

Basically, if you need a 175 by October, those few points are most likely not going to come that quickly with RC, and your time would be better spent perfecting the other two sections resulting in your goal score, since they are a lot easier to improve upon in the time frame you have.

With that being said, I think the low res method is great, and my recommendation would be to combine the two ways of thinking about RC (structure and content) and try to find a middle ground that works for you. Understand the main idea of every paragraph (write this down for your low res), understand the structure and where it fits in to the passage, and then move on. Before answering questions, understand the main point of the passage and the author's perspective if there is one.

The biggest thing is developing a strategy that works for you... try different things until you see improvement, because there are so many RC strategies and no true one size fits all method.

Hope this helps, and good luck! You got this!

• 258 karma

@jer3596 said:
    how long did it take you to get from -12 to -3/-5?

I was scoring -12 before going through the 7Sage Curriculum. After CC, maybe about 2-3 weeks to get to that -5 mark and more improvement to -3 a few more weeks after that.

• 258 karma

@AlexgLSAT said:

@Shambhabi said:

This comment might not be in the direction you were looking for, but if you're consistently scoring -3 on RC, I honestly would focus on getting the other two sections up, netting you a 175. What are your LR and LG scores? These two sections are a lot easier to improve quickly than RC, and I feel that you might have to spend a long time just to achieve 1-2 points of improvement. If you're getting a -0 on LG and -2 on LR, you have your goal score.

Basically, if you need a 175 by October, those few points are most likely not going to come that quickly with RC, and your time would be better spent perfecting the other two sections resulting in your goal score, since they are a lot easier to improve upon in the time frame you have.

With that being said, I think the low res method is great, and my recommendation would be to combine the two ways of thinking about RC (structure and content) and try to find a middle ground that works for you. Understand the main idea of every paragraph (write this down for your low res), understand the structure and where it fits in to the passage, and then move on. Before answering questions, understand the main point of the passage and the author's perspective if there is one.

The biggest thing is developing a strategy that works for you... try different things until you see improvement, because there are so many RC strategies and no true one size fits all method.

Hope this helps, and good luck! You got this!

This is actually great advice! I am fluctuating between that -3 to -5 score, scoring -6 or -7 on really bad days (when trying to use the new Blueprint method as I mentioned in the original post). However, I think combining the structure with my previous way of approaching passages (one-sentence low res summaries) will help me consistently score maximum misses of -3.

I feel I have been neglecting LG a bit because I used to score -0 to -1/-2 but now it's been -3 or -4 on bad days. LR has improved exponentially from a similar -10/-12 score to -2 to -4. I am starting to understand LR a lot more than before so I may spend more time on this section and bring my incorrect questions down to -1 or -2. LG I will start rigorously full-proofing since I have heard from many that it helps to bring the score down to -0 (which is what I'm aiming for).

Thanks for your advice!