Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many problem sets should I be doing during CC?

blueburchblueburch Core Member
in General 8 karma

I plan on doing the CC for the next 2 months (after which I will foolproof 1-35 LG and then after move on to drilling sections/question types then taking pt etc etc etc). But in the meantime while I complete this CC, I’m wondering how many problem sets I should be doing? What did you guys do that was most beneficial? I know I’m supposed to leave some for drilling later, and I plan to do AMPLE drilling of weaknesses way down the road (I’m taking 10 months to study this). So help me out: should I do odd numbered problem sets? Exactly half of them? One easy one medium one hard? A couple easy a couple medium a couple hard? Until I “understand” the question? (which I don’t even know when I could fully say that if I’m only starting with the beginning ones bc they are easy…) Let me know what you did/what you wish you did/what will be the most advantageous for me?

Also, when you did these problem sets during CC, did you do them untimed? 1 min per q? Target time? I’m thinking that I should do them untimed bc I’m still learning the material and don’t want to reinforce bad habits with a clock interference (at least for now). Maybe leave the timed drilling sets of specific questions until after cc? Idk. Let me know if you have any insight into ^^ any of this! Thanks!

Comments

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    2239 karma

I recommend doing half of the problem sets. For each question type, I did every other set. I'd start with set one, then go to set three, then five, etc. Like you said, this leaves sets for you to drill later when you identify your weaknesses.

I did the sets untimed when going through the CC. I think working to understand the questions, gain familiarity with the way the test makers write/think, see how trap answers are constructed, and recognize the question stems is far more important when going through the CC than focusing on speed. It'll come naturally. When using the problem sets you saved for drilling after the CC, then you can definitely start incorporating speed.

It sounds like you have a great study plan set up. With the CC, fool proofing, and ten months, you can improve by a ton. Good luck! You're going to crush it!

• blueburchblueburch Core Member
    8 karma

@"Matt Sorr" thank you so much for the response! I have a few more questions.

What is your plan post CC/foolproof? Should I take a practice test (also which one?) > nail down my weaknesses and figure out what’s ‘wrong’ > start drilling (but how long do I drill for and how many sets do I drill) > move on to the next pt ? Like how long should I expect this cycle to be? Between different pt? 2 weeks? 1 week? And if it’s 2 weeks, do I gradually over time increase the frequency

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    2239 karma

Post fool proofing I think you're good to start PTing. Towards the end of fool proofing you may want to start doing some LR and RC problem sets and reviewing any CC lessons that are rusty. I think it would be pretty difficult to get through fool proofing quicker than about 5 weeks, so you'll probably want to brush up on LR and RC a bit before PTing. As for which PTs to take, I think it partially depends on how many PTs you plan to take before sitting for the real test. If you plan to take 40+, you could probably bounce around between PTs 36 and 92. If you're aiming for 20 to 30 (or so), maybe stick with PTs 59-92. Obviously, the more recents PTs are a bit more representative of the modern test. If you go to my profile, you can find a forum I posted that got a pretty thorough response about which PTs to take. Regarding how long to wait between PTs, I think it depends on how many weak areas you've identified. If you're only missing, say, 7 or fewer questions, you could probably just take one to three days between PTs (using those days to BR, drill weak areas, and review CC content). If you're missing more than about 15 questions, maybe aim for one or two PTs a week. It largely depends on how much LSAT studying you're doing each day and how quickly you feel you're improving weak areas.

I hope this response helps! I'm not a tutor so you should always hear other opinions, but I think with your time frame and mindset you can definitely knock out a lot of PTs and drilling.