Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Letter of Recommendation from Internship

I did a legal internship this summer and was wondering if I should get my boss from that company to write me an LOR? I already have 2 academic LORs from professors. I talk about my internship some in my personal statement and was thinking it could be a good idea for him to write a letter to expand more on what I worked on.

Comments

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    2239 karma

I think that would be a great idea. Seeing as you already have two academic letters and you wrote about the internship in your personal statement, having a non-academic letter makes sense. I assume that you're applying straight from undergrad, so having a letter from an internship may help when you're stacked up against applicants that have work experience. I'm no admissions consultant, however, so don't take what I say as gospel!

• khouryyrachelkhouryyrachel Live Member
    33 karma

I am doing something similar, I have 2 academic LOR's and one from an a leader in a city organization I have had a position with for 2 years. Works for me because for the kind of law I want to pursue/ my focus, having that external LOR just makes sense. Some schools however may ask for 3 academic LORs and give you the option to add an additional. It really just depends on the school from my research (not an expert). So, I would look at the schools you want to apply to and see what they are looking for.

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Former admissions officer here. Having a professional LOR that speaks to your abilities in a legal setting could be a great addition to your application. Although law school admissions wants to know about your abilities in an academic environment, it is also a professional school, so the committee is also mindful of your potential employability. An assessment by someone familiar with the demands of law school and the legal market would be helpful! Good luck!