Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Posting on Behalf of a 7Sage User: Reading the stimulus first or the question stem in LR sections?

Maureen --Student Service--Maureen --Student Service-- Member Administrator Student Services
edited September 2022 in Logical Reasoning 404 karma

[I am posting on behalf of a 7Sage user. Please feel free to leave your comments below. Thank you for your help!]

Hi guys - would you recommend reading the stimulus first or the question stem (question type only) in the LR sections? Thanks for your answer.

Comments

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    edited September 2022 2239 karma

Opinions on this are extremely mixed and I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all answer. Some prep companies teach it one way and some teach it the other. Since everybody differs a bit in the ways they read and process information, I think you've got to figure out which way you personally prefer. A possible way to do this is to take four (or more) LR sections and alternate each time between reading the stem and stimulus first. Then, if you're performing noticeably better with one of the methods or if one method just "works" for you, go with it.

• rzee0913rzee0913 Alum Member
    64 karma

There's actually a lesson on this in the core curriculum:
    https://7sage.com/lesson/logical-reasoning-general-approach/

• Reading the stem first

• julia.grevejulia.greve Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    190 karma

I recommend reading the question stem first before the stimulus.

It's important to have a targeted focused in every question of the LSAT. Knowing the question type gives you a much better sense of a focused task rather than starting with the stimulus. Of course, what it comes down to is the individual student. What works for some will not work for all. Try out a few sections using either technique and see which one does better for you!

• In timed I think reading stem first is good. But when you're in an untimed setting I also think reading the stimulus first can be a really valuable heuristic. It can help foster a sense of the broader unity of logical reasoning and the ways in which a given stimulus can lend itself to a variety of different stems.