Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best approaches for RC?

ZoMan72ZoMan72 Core Member

How do you guys each approach an RC passage while reading? Do you do the memory method every time or write down a low-res summary? I'm averaging -7 and would like to be down to -3! (And ideally take less time doing it) Thank you!

Comments

• G.S12345G.S12345 Alum Member
    115 karma

same score range and would really like some input

• Claudia77Claudia77 Member
    edited October 2022 106 karma

I was averaging around -2 prior to taking the LSAT. I was able to reach this level of accuracy by approaching the passages very methodically (I'm not that familiar with the memory method/low res summaries though, so I can't speak on those). My strategy was to figure out whose viewpoints were represented, what the arguments being made were, how the passage was structured, and what the author's tone was like. While I did use the underline tool (sparingly) to make important information easier to find, I never, ever wrote anything down - I think it takes far too much time. I also allocated a lot more time towards answering the questions than towards reading the passage - I always aimed to finish reading the passage within 2-2.5 minutes, which may seem like short time but is very doable if you don't spend time re-reading. You will have to re-read parts of the passage while answering the questions anyway, so there is little to be gained by re-reading parts of the passage on your first read, in my opinion. Another small tip I personally found helpful is to do Main Point questions last. I found that MP questions were easier to answer once I'd become more familiar with the passage as a result of doing the other questions. Finally, (and you may be aware of this already, but it was key for me) everything you need to answer the questions is IN the passage - all of the inference questions etc. can be answered by consulting information from the passage (RC is actually a lot like LR in this way).

RC was my favourite section and I'm happy to provide more info if needed, good luck!

• ZoMan72ZoMan72 Core Member
    14 karma

Off to try that, thank you so much!!

• amandatkim11amandatkim11 Member
    32 karma

I personally read the Qs first so that way I know what to read for when I get into the passage, but I do not look at the answer choices. Super quick look over the questions helps orient me with what the topic is, and what to look out for while reading.

I'm not sure how helpful this is- but I read the passage with as much clarity and accuracy as possible. I prefer not to write things down or highlight because anything I write down tends to be pretty "big picture" anyways, and there is no way I could write down the details/ specifics. Instead, I just make sure I 100% understand what is being said, and how it relates to my preview of the questions. I read the passage word for word, as clearly as possible. I personally take my time with it. Since I almost never write anything down, I spend more time digesting the info in the passage.

Really, whats been most helpful is explicitly realizing that I can understand something the best when I can mentally visualize it. So, I approach each passage with forming a mental image of whats being discussed. This obviously works better for passages that deal more with concrete topics as opposed to abstracts. Also, this method is pretty unorthodox. But, its what has helped me score much higher, have much better pacing, and approach RC much more confidently than more conventional methods. I usually score -2/-3 with this. Take my advice with a grain of salt, but it might work for you too if you find yourself frustrated with more standard approaches.

Also, the test for me has been super draining mentally. The only thing that has helped and enabled me to approach RC with clarity is taking practice tests as much as possible. The only way to get into RC with the clarity needed for this approach is to build up the endurance. But, I've found the most success with this approach. So, good luck!