Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Share your experience with Logic Games please!

ninaaaa15ninaaaa15 Alum Member
edited September 2022 in Logic Games 124 karma

Hi everyone!

Can you guys please share your experience with logic games and how long it took you to see improvements and what sources helped you get a better understanding of the section? I’m on day 3 of doing logic games, and I know 3 days is nothing but I’m seeing no improvements AT ALLLL. I’m bombing all the drills in the core curriculum, and feeling very defeated.

Thank you!

Comments

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    2239 karma

When going through the CC, I got destroyed by every game. I'd say I started seeing significant improvement (meaning I started feeling generally comfortable with the section, even if I didn't always go -2 or better) after about three months of fool proofing. If you haven't heard of fool proofing, watch the video in the core curriculum. It's a life saver. I still haven't mastered the section, but even on my worst days (meaning days where a game totally stumps me) I don't go worse than -5. Coming from someone who used to struggle to complete any game in under ten minutes, that's a lot of improvement. With logic games, you really do just have to get reps in to start recognizing patterns and becoming more comfortable with the game types. I've met a couple of people who were whizzes after only studying games for a month or so, but they are the exception, not the rule!

• ninaaaa15ninaaaa15 Alum Member
    edited September 2022 124 karma

@"Matt Sorr" Hi, thank you for your reply. I appreciate it! So technically, there isn't much I can do besides practicing and failing until I get better? Seeing 3/10's 5/10's is such a horrible feeling!!! I feel like I'm dumb or something lol. Besides 7 sage did you use any other sources for logic games that you would recommend?

• Dave1111Dave1111 Member
    74 karma

As much as it does not seem like fool proofing a game will work at increasing your LG skills, I know I was skeptical, it will. JY says to print out the games you sucked at and do it 10 times, and it works. When I would suck at a game, I would print out 5 to 10 copies, depending how hard the game was, and add it to a stack of games, and I would do them as warmups or just for more practice. When I got to the point that I could pretty comfortably get all the answers in an LG section correct but timing was an issue, like it would take me 45 or 50 minutes to do a section. I spent 1-week only doing 3 to 4 hours of Logic Games per day, and only doing that, no LR or RC practice. By the end of that LG bootcamp I put myself through, my LG sections were always coming in under 35 minutes, and accuracy will increase with practice. I also still find it helpful, even when I get a -1 or -0 on a section, to watch all the explanation videos in order to make sure I had used the best game board set up for the games and made the proper inferences.

• Steven_B-1Steven_B-1 Member
    794 karma

Same advice as above with one additional quirk that I wish I would have realized sooner.

It's important that when you're reviewing a game, that you try to figure the game out actively as JY goes through it. What do I mean?

Let's say you absolutely froze at the beginning and didn't even know how to map the game out. JY shows you how to map it out and will then go throguh the questions correct?

Well, you shouldn't watch through the whole video in one uninterrupted sitting. What you should do is start watching the video and as soon as JY shows you something that you missed (whether that's how to map, or a key inference), you stop and try to take the lead from there. Otherwise, you're going to end up passively watching JYs explanation and thinking "oh yeah i totally get it now" but you might not get it at all.

While if you stop the video when something you missed is revealed to you, you give yourself the chance to wrestle with the rules yourself and figure it out as you go.

Eventually you will of course watch the whole explanantion but the whole point of this strategy is to actively realize what you missed and then burn that into your memory by actually solving the game before you're shown the solution to all of the questions.

I went from not being able to solve certain games and taking 20 + minutes on what i now would consider easy games to crushing those easy games in 5-7 minutes. That process took me months! so dont put yourself down if its taking a while to become fluent in the LG section. Take your time and learn from each game. The speed will come.

• ninaaaa15ninaaaa15 Alum Member
    124 karma

Thank you for all your comments I really appreciate them!!

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    2239 karma

@ninaaaa15 In my opinion, yes, to a large extent, there's nothing you can do besides fail repeatedly. That's how most skills are acquired. The process isn't always a blast, but it works. I also didn't like getting destroyed by multiple games in a row when I began studying LG, but I constantly reminded myself how the vast majority of people struggle greatly with games when they start studying them. Then, as you hear most high scorers say, most people come to see games as the most consistent/"beatable" section. It's no coincidence that the section people typically get killed by at first usually ends up being the section they find the easiest. Just don't beat yourself up if you can! When I was going through the curriculum and struggling to understand even the most basic games, I reminded myself that learning was the goal, not being flawless.