Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Necessary Assumption

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to work on Necessary Assumption questions. I have tried to use the Must Be True method but it is not working for me or I am not understanding the stimulus. I have tried Negation s test but I am very bad at them and do not know how to improve on how to use them. Does anyone know if there is another method that has worked for them or if there is a drill I missed that can help me hone in on these skills.

help

admin

Please help!

Comments

• julia.grevejulia.greve Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    191 karma

Hey there,

Necessary assumption questions are definitely tricky. Throwing in an additional step to negate our answer choices can make the questions a bit more complex than they need to be. One tactic to combat this is trying out the gap or flaw method.

This is where you treat every argument as a flaw question. Rather than looking at the stimulus for something that has to be true, try to think of the stimulus as representing an error of reasoning. Coming up with a prephrase (otherwise known as prediction) for our answer choices will do better in helping us identify the general topics we expect the right answer will contain. Without coming up with a strong prediction, it can be very difficult to master necessary assumption. Challenge yourself to come up with a flaw or general problem identification before looking at the answer choices.

• 30 karma

@julia.greve Thank you soo much for this recommendation will definitely try this out right now!!!!