Chances with a 166/3.83 nURM

Hi all,

This last week has been a bit sobering. Got the Sep LSAT score back only for it to stay the same from my Jan score. My PT avg was in the 168-170 range, and I know 166 is a great score, but not improving after months of studying was a blow. Anyways, my main reason for posting is, I have applications ready to go for certain schools; namely Fordham, Boston College, UNC, and George Washington. I have a couple great rec letters and a personal statement that may move the needle as well as T2-3ish softs. Can I go ahead and apply with my current stats? Or should I venture to take another (and fifth) LSAT as much as that gives me heartburn?

Thanks everyone, and wherever you are on this journey, I wish you the best of luck!

Comments

• woodpusherjbwoodpusherjb Member
    72 karma

I would absolutely go for it. Your GPA is most likely 75th percentile or at least median at all of these schools, and even at UNC at least (I didn't look for the rest I just know it lol) you're at or above 75th percentiles for GPA/LSAT. It really sucks that your score didn't improve, but I would argue you've got a great chance at all of these schools. If you really, really want a higher score, I would at least submit applications now so that they're in early, and take the LSAT again in January (I believe it usually has the friendliest curve) to submit if your apps take a while to be reviewed. For me, the stress wouldn't be worth it. You have a killer GPA, an LSAT that puts you in the top 9-10% of test-takers, and from what it sounds like great softs. You're a super qualified applicant that many if not all of these schools would love to have.

• sn1672sn1672 Member
    24 karma

I can't express how much I appreciate hearing this. It's been a tough week (as far as all things LSAT are concerned). This process can feel endless and lonely. I've been super nervous, because these medians are always changing and I didn't know where I fell with my stats for this cycle. Your comment really calmed my nerves though. So, thank you!

• ProfLaytonProfLayton Member
    110 karma

I think not having an LSAT score above a 166 may decrease your chances for a fatter scholarship, but I wouldn't give up on applying to those schools. Worst case, apply to some other ones, see what schools are offering, and give yourself as much leverage as possible to negotiate scholarships with the schools you prefer that are open to negotiating

Best of luck mate

• sn1672sn1672 Member
    24 karma

Thank you, ProfLayton. That’s definitely something I’ll consider doing.