Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any updates on when LSAC changes LG are anticipated?

gofish123gofish123 Live Member
in General 38 karma

I work full time and have been studying since spring of this year. Since I work, my pace is much slower than ideal (10-15 hours per week).

I need a pretty solid LSAT score since my GPA was like a 3.5 so I keep pushing my test date back. I may apply this year but keep thinking about pushing to next year to give myself better room to study. I am signed up for November but will see how I progress in the next few weeks of studying.

However, I get nervous thinking about waiting a year if large changes by LSAC are coming to logical games. Worried about the sunk cost of studying for something that may get taken off.

Are there any updates on when LSAC is planning on the change? What is the general consensus?

Thank you

Comments

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    edited October 2022 2239 karma

No, there hasn't been any update on LG. And, really, there is no general consensus. I'm sorry it's not more definite! There's a few things to consider that I think will help to ease your concerns, though:

1. Most prep companies that have officially commented on the possible removal/restructuring of LG believe there'll be notice well in advance of any major changes. This means that if LSAC decides to, say, totally remove the LG section, they won't just release a statement like "Oh, by the way, the test we're administering in two days is the last test that'll contain LG. Get wrecked, losers." They'd more likely detail what changes will be made (at least) multiple months in advance of the changes taking place. So I wouldn't be concerned that you might, totally unknowingly, have only two more possible test administrations with LG.

2. It's totally possible that LSAC won't remove LG. Perhaps they'll just tweak the section to be more doable for people that can't use scratch paper. Or, perhaps they'll create a separate test administration for people that can't use scratch paper. Nobody knows. If they do decide to greatly alter the section (like totally remove the section and replace it with something else or drastically change how games look and work), I'd be willing to bet they'll provide a good amount of study material along with a warning well in advance. Think about it: If LSAC suddenly removed LG and replaced it with a new section that nobody, not even prep companies, had ever seen, it would almost certainly destroy the scaling of the test. How could they predict how well people would do on the new section, much the less a given test, if they have no data on how people generally perform on the new section? The answer, of course, is that they couldn't.

3. Even if you wait until next cycle to apply, you can still take any test administration between now and then. So if you take the November test, don't like your score, and decide you're going to wait until next cycle to apply, you could still take the January 2023 test, the February test, the April test, etc. I don't see any realistic way that LSAC totally removes/revamps the LG section before June of 2023, so you'll still have quite a while to continue studying with the assurance you'll have LG on test day.

All of this is to say: If you're studying now, don't worry about any possible changes to LG. I hope this helps put your mind at ease a bit!

• gofish123gofish123 Live Member
    38 karma

Thank you! That is very helpful!

(also not the best at using this platform so please don't mind any errors)