Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reading Comprehension section on the LSAT

is the worst thing that exists in this world.

Comments

• WhatIsLifeWhatIsLife Member
    810 karma

I'm sorry I was going through a moment of weakness after tanking an RC section when making this post.

Any tips on how I can make atleast a little bit of improvement in the next two weeks before the November LSAT would be greatly appreciated. I'm doing great on both LG and LR, but I just can't seem to get better than -7 to -10 on RC. Sometimes I get lucky and get like 4-6 wrong but that's far and few in-between. Is it possible to get below -5 consistently before the November LSAT?

• blanklawblanklaw Member
    490 karma

I don't know where the exact problem lies, but for me I just figured out today that my main issue is that I don't have enough momentum and focus on the first two passages. I just made up a tactic that forced me to focus and it's really working for me: I read the passage one time around in about 1.5 minutes to try to understand/see the path of the passage but also to pique interest and see how things connect to each other the second time around-- that second time, I spend 2.5/3.5 minutes reading-- understanding the specific relationships and complicated parts, etc. while at the same time having a notion of how the idea progresses/relevant later on (because of my first read)

This tactic really helped me improve comprehension which helps me go super fast in the AC because of that solid understanding; typically I'll spend between 3.5-5 minutes in the AC (i.e. there are questions I will answer in less than 20 sec.-- yes, it's definitely possible!)

The weird thing for me that I've realized happened (which led me to devise this method) is that 99.999% of the time I would have such intense focus on the last passage because of my instinctual panic for time and I would somehow grasp everything the first time I read it-- no matter how hard the passage was. In other words, I was getting all of the 5-star passages right in under 9 minutes. At the same time though, I noticed myself getting huge chunks of questions wrong in the first 2 passages-- often associated with "I have no idea what's going on" after I read the passages-- even when the structure was super simple. I realized it was more of a focus issue leading to non-comprehension and lots of time wasted in the AC. Hence leading me to my solution :smiley:

Main point is, of course, to really identify your issue and come up with a good process/strategy.

Hope this helps! Also taking the November LSATs and feeling that panic with you!!!

Good luck in your studies!

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

@"NowOrNever-1-1-1-1-1-1" said:
    I'm sorry I was going through a moment of weakness after tanking an RC section when making this post.

Any tips on how I can make atleast a little bit of improvement in the next two weeks before the November LSAT would be greatly appreciated. I'm doing great on both LG and LR, but I just can't seem to get better than -7 to -10 on RC. Sometimes I get lucky and get like 4-6 wrong but that's far and few in-between. Is it possible to get below -5 consistently before the November LSAT?

Hard to say without knowing what you're doing, but one problem I see a lot with RC is that students struggle to distinguish exercises and learning strategies from what they should actually be doing to execute in a live section. A lot of things that are really effective for learning the fundamentals are highly ineffective as actual testing strategies. If you're doing a lot reading-for-structure and that kinda thing, try seeing what happens if you let go of all that and just read. It's not quite that simple, of course, but a lot of times students will do better by over-simplifying than by over-complicating. It's worth experimenting with at least, so try out a section or two, cut out all the "LSAT stuff," and just see what happens. If you improve, great! Stick with it. If not, it was worth a shot and no harm done.

• dag_6610dag_6610 Core Member
    63 karma

@blanklaw said:
    I don't know where the exact problem lies, but for me I just figured out today that my main issue is that I don't have enough momentum and focus on the first two passages. I just made up a tactic that forced me to focus and it's really working for me: I read the passage one time around in about 1.5 minutes to try to understand/see the path of the passage but also to pique interest and see how things connect to each other the second time around-- that second time, I spend 2.5/3.5 minutes reading-- understanding the specific relationships and complicated parts, etc. while at the same time having a notion of how the idea progresses/relevant later on (because of my first read)

This tactic really helped me improve comprehension which helps me go super fast in the AC because of that solid understanding; typically I'll spend between 3.5-5 minutes in the AC (i.e. there are questions I will answer in less than 20 sec.-- yes, it's definitely possible!)

The weird thing for me that I've realized happened (which led me to devise this method) is that 99.999% of the time I would have such intense focus on the last passage because of my instinctual panic for time and I would somehow grasp everything the first time I read it-- no matter how hard the passage was. In other words, I was getting all of the 5-star passages right in under 9 minutes. At the same time though, I noticed myself getting huge chunks of questions wrong in the first 2 passages-- often associated with "I have no idea what's going on" after I read the passages-- even when the structure was super simple. I realized it was more of a focus issue leading to non-comprehension and lots of time wasted in the AC. Hence leading me to my solution :smiley:

Main point is, of course, to really identify your issue and come up with a good process/strategy.

Hope this helps! Also taking the November LSATs and feeling that panic with you!!!

Good luck in your studies!

I have the same issue. Usually the first two sections will take me a pretty long time, and then once I realize I'm pressed for time during the last two, I really dial in my focus and do a better job on the last two. Most if not all people here are great readers. It oftentimes just comes down to focus.