PT23.S3.Q25 - The end of an action is the intended outcome of the action

selah403selah403 Core Member
edited November 2022 in Logical Reasoning 82 karma

So, for questions that the answer choices have 'one' in them>>>

Example

"The end of an action is the intended outcome of the action and not a mere by-product of the action, and the end's value is thus the only reason for the action."

When I attacked this one, I eliminated the choices that had "One can" in them because I didn't think that was the subject of the conclusion.

Can anyone explain how to approach answer choices with that ("one can") in them, and why I need to be able to decipher what the choice is really summarizing about the conclusion?

Is there a stimulus to know that one of these types of choices will be correct?

I just understand the mindset I should have towards questions like these. These are some of the more difficult type LR questions (174 was the cap on the gray scale).

Much appreciated!

Admin Note: Edited to remove the full LSAT question. See our Forum Rules here.

https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-23-section-3-question-25/

Comments

• blanklawblanklaw Member
    490 karma

The key is understanding the main idea of the conclusion.

It is clear that nothing will justify a means except an end's value

This is the conclusion. The first thing I would would do is reword that based on the strong logical indicators (in this case). Basically the author is saying that the ONLY way to justify a means is in it's end's value. Looking through the AC, none of them mirror this strong language and concept except AC C. The trick they did with this AC is exchanging "end's value" with the definition they gave for this concept in the context portion of the stimulus. They do that fairly often.

For key points in conclusion questions, always make sure that any strong language is mirrored-- this is not a MSS, it's labeling the direct conclusion the author is asserting. Also, note any definition the author proposes for an idea-- the LSAT writers will probably use that interchangeably to trip you up (they'll also do this with RC)

Hope this helps!

• selah403selah403 Core Member
    82 karma

@blanklaw Thank you!

I notice I frequently look over little detail words like the word "except". That trips me up when it comes to the answer choices.

• blanklawblanklaw Member
    490 karma

At first I was like that too, but when I realized that the content of the questions is interchangeable, the only pieces left are the universal, logical indicator words-- think of them as the skeleton for what you are reading. They are strong words and determinants of the operating logic of the stimulus (increase, all, some, often, etc.).

Hope this helps!