Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LG question Stem

Ok so in my November Lsat I kept seeing this weird question stem that I have not seen anywhere before?

I don't really recall the exact wording but it was something like which one of the following could be true but may not be?? something along those lines? It was kind of combining two question stems together? I'm not sure if anyone knows the question stems I'm talking about but if you do please help a man out.

Thanks

Comments

• blanklawblanklaw Member
    490 karma

Yeah-- I was really stuck on that one-- by POE I thankfully chose the right answer, but it wasn't until really thinking about that question that I got what it was asking.

It was an in and out game that had very restrictive rules and the stem gave a premise that triggered a lot of pieces. The question was essentially asking which one of the following pairs could be true but doesn't have to be true-- this is essentially the comprehensive definition of a could be true (could be true but also could be false). The thing that tripped me up was that one of the pieces HAD to be there and the other one didn't. After realizing that it was talking about the group and not each piece, I realized that this could be a pair that's in but both (namely the one floater) don't HAVE to be in together.

Hope this helps!

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    edited November 2022 2239 karma

I didn't take the November test, but I've seen multiple people asking about a stem along the lines of, "Which one of the following could be true, but doesn't have to be true?" or "Which one of the following could be true, but need not be true?"

I'm not sure of the exact wording, either, but I am sure of one thing: The stem was looking for an answer choice that could be true but did not have to be true. It seemed to throw some test takes off because, typically, you don't see "could be true" question stems with extra parameters. So, on a normal could be true question with no extra wording, the correct answer choice could be a "must be true" choice (because, of course, if something must be true it logically follows that it also could be true). With the question stem that seemed to appear once or twice on the November test, however, a "must be true" choice would've been wrong. So wrong answer choices would've been anything that couldn't be true or had to be true. Basically, the correct AC couldn't be some game piece that you figured out had to be in the in-group/out-group in an in/out game, had to be in a certain slot in a sequencing game, had to be in front of or behind another game piece in a sequencing game, etc.

I hope I'm addressing the stem you're referring to!

• KevinLuminateLSATKevinLuminateLSAT Alum Member
    983 karma

This isn't the first time we've seen that kind of question stem! Check out PT35 Game 1.

• Thank you all. Its just frustrating to see an unknown question stem in the LG section while you're already so focused on the many different factors and variables at play lol.