PTB.S4.Q25 - Some residents of Midville claim...

elmurph15elmurph15 Core Member
edited November 2022 in Logical Reasoning 4 karma

Hi everyone! I just took five practice questions and for PT B, section 4, question 25. If anyone has this question open or has worked on it recently, I'd greatly appreciate the help!

I selected D but the answer choice was A, I'm not understanding how the answer ended up being that both towns are comparable in living cost/price. How is this the main point?? Thank you very much in advance :)

Comments

• luffyyyyluffyyyy Live Member
    651 karma

This is a classic "some people say X, but they are wrong". Basically we are told that some residents of M think M is more expensive to live in than other towns, but our author says these residents are mistaken. This is the conclusion because the rest of the stimulus is the author providing reasons why these residents are mistaken. So what are the residents wrong for? They are wrong in thinking that M is more expensive to live in, which is what A is saying "M is not more expensive to live in than nearby towns".

The rest of the stimulus is just the author telling us why M is not more expensive to live in (i.e. the premises). For example, M provides residents with trash removal, reasonably priced public transportation, etc. whereas nearby towns have to pay for these services with their own money.

D is wrong because that's not the MP the author tries to tell us. The MP is that these people are wrong in their belief, not that they are not aware of the services M provides. If anything, D is more of a premise than a conclusion.

I hope this helps!