Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did worse on retake... need advice!

(Applying for the Fall 2023 cycle)
I've taken the LSAT three times. First in August of 2021 (cancelled score- was not ready AT ALL), second in November of 2021, got a 155 (median for my target schools, I'm fine with this score), and just took it again this November and ended up doing worse than my 155:( (I got a 152). I'm extremely heartbroken as I put my heart and soul into my study process, and ran into technical difficulties at the start of my exam which, although ProctorU was very helpful and responsive with resolving right away, definitely had me shaken up and a nervous reck during my first section (RC- ugh). My GPA is my strong-suit, also being the median/ slightly above the average at my targeted schools. My goal has never been to go to an Ivy/ top school, just one that is credible enough and will help me land a decent job (currently interested in Intellectual Property law/ real estate law)!
I have decided I am most likely not taking the exam a fourth time, as my 155 I'm fine with and am just afraid I could run into an even worse problem. Has anyone else been through a similar experience? I did purchase score preview- but would it look bad to have two cancelled LSAT scores? Should I go down the path of writing an Addendum? I understand the majority of people on here are now studying for the LSAT and may not be this far along in the process, but absolutely any advice/ insight with be greatly appreciated as I feel so lost and confused on what my next steps should be.

Comments

• Avatario43Avatario43 Core Member
    198 karma

Same. I am thinking about taking another gap year to keep studying / find a job and apply next cycle. It's extremely frustrating for sure.

• prayerfulprayerful Member
    edited November 2022 48 karma

If I were you, I would not cancel the score but instead write an addendum explaining the issues you had with ProctorU.

• I would be tickled to get a 155 and you have a good GPA to boot. Congrats to you. What ever you decide you can't lose. Your already a winner with the 155. You can always apply now and see if you get now. Once in law school no one looks at your lsat. The very best to you on your decision.

• ninasuss628ninasuss628 Core Member
    69 karma

I'm having a similar issue 152 in October and sadly 148 in November (which I was certain was like a 160). I'm looking to do part-time programs and only apply to a few schools this cycle and maybe if I get waitlisted or rejected I'll retake and reapply next year...super super devastated today with my decline

• ticutter3ticutter3 Member
    15 karma

Congrats on your 155! While I'm also applying this cycle, I have some input as someone in a similar situation who has been seeking advice from admissions professionals (score and high GPA). I would seriously not be discouraged by your November score-- frankly you are probably burned out seems how you've taken the test three times. A 155 is not a bad score, especially since you are not considering T-14 schools and your GPA is competitive. If you have the time, I think an LSAT addendum would allow you to explain the decrease in your score which schools may appreciate. I personally don't think it's necessary that you take a gap year; you've set yourself up well. I know several current 2Ls and 3Ls that are attending T50 schools with a lower score and GPA than you are. Obviously everyone's situation is different but I think that's a good indicator. In regard to score cancellation, two of my advisors explained to me while score cancellations don't count against you, because schools are able to see that you cancelled the score, they may be concerned that you chose to cancel the scores twice. If I were in your position, I would not cancel the score just for that reason. Good luck!

• emmaxxpsemmaxxps Member
    12 karma

@kathrynmccoach63 said:
    I would be tickled to get a 155 and you have a good GPA to boot. Congrats to you. What ever you decide you can't lose. Your already a winner with the 155. You can always apply now and see if you get now. Once in law school no one looks at your lsat. The very best to you on your decision.

Thank you so much!

• emmaxxpsemmaxxps Member
    12 karma

@ticutter3 said:
    Congrats on your 155! While I'm also applying this cycle, I have some input as someone in a similar situation who has been seeking advice from admissions professionals (score and high GPA). I would seriously not be discouraged by your November score-- frankly you are probably burned out seems how you've taken the test three times. A 155 is not a bad score, especially since you are not considering T-14 schools and your GPA is competitive. If you have the time, I think an LSAT addendum would allow you to explain the decrease in your score which schools may appreciate. I personally don't think it's necessary that you take a gap year; you've set yourself up well. I know several current 2Ls and 3Ls that are attending T50 schools with a lower score and GPA than you are. Obviously everyone's situation is different but I think that's a good indicator. In regard to score cancellation, two of my advisors explained to me while score cancellations don't count against you, because schools are able to see that you cancelled the score, they may be concerned that you chose to cancel the scores twice. If I were in your position, I would not cancel the score just for that reason. Good luck!

This was very encouraging and helpful! Thank you so much! By chance, do you know if law schools ay possibly 'look down' on an addendum? I've read many mixed things, but do know that the whole purpose of them is for us to have the chance to speak our cases.