Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Method of Reasoning

sh.francissh.francis Core Member
in General 246 karma

Method of reasoning is my biggest weakness in LR now and i'm working on doing a deep dive on this question type.

Any general tips, tricks and hacks?

I've been studying the superprep tests and reading the official explanations which has been very helpful and trying to categorize all the tricks they use. Seems like it helps to have a really good understanding of key terms that keep popping up like hypothesis, general principle etc. but the difficult questions seem to really trade on either very abstract descriptions of the reasoning or tricky word choices that are technically accurate but a bit "off center".

Curious to know how ya'll deal with these Qs.

Comments

• julia.grevejulia.greve Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    191 karma

Hey there,

These questions are tricky because the answer choices can do a great job of giving us 5 not so terrible options. My biggest piece of advice for students with this question type is to lean into your prediction. What you identify at the exact method of reasoning will be loosely changed in the wrong answer choices. If you have a solid prediction before looking at the answer choices, you can more easily see how the answer choices deviate from what the stimulus is actually doing.

You are right in saying there are methods of reasoning we could likely compile a list for. To get used to the options and common tricks of these questions, drill this question type. By starting with easy level questions and only increasing when you reach about 80% efficiency, you know enough about that level of reasoning to increase the difficulty to the next level.

Hope this helps!

• sh.francissh.francis Core Member
    246 karma

Thanks Julia this is really helpful!