Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I finish the syllabus in order?

Harper ClaytonHarper Clayton Alum Member
in General 11 karma

I’ve been working my way through the syllabus top to bottom, completing every practice listed. However, I feel like by the 4th practice drill it’s too repetitive. I also feel like I’m just not focusing on the LSAT since there hundreds of hours between the first Prep Test and the next one on the syllabus.
Should I be taking Prep Tests more spread throughout the syllabus? Am I okay to skip over some of the practice drills if I feel like it’s overly repetitive? Should I just trust the layout and keep chugging along?

Comments

• sh.francissh.francis Core Member
    246 karma

Definitely do not do every practice drill. JY has explicitly said not to do this in the podcasts and that the practice drills were not intended to be used in this manner.

It's a balance between reinforcing the material until you have some basic comfort with it and getting through the curriculum at a reasonable pace based on your test date.

When and how many PTs you should do is also very subjective. Depends on how you learn and who you ask.

If you haven't finished the core curriculum though, it's unlikely you should be spending much, if any, time doing PTs. You're just wasting material before you have the fundamental base to solve it. Full length PTs is for building endurance and test taking strategy. That comes after the foundation has been built.

• Alex Jacobs-2Alex Jacobs-2 Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    24 karma

7Sage tutor here! Agree with sh.francis in their post! You should only do as many practice drills as needed to reinforce the concepts that you've just learned in the core curriculum. As far as your other question goes, I would definitely recommend following the core currriculum in order and avoid taking PT's until you've finished (this is assuming you have at least a few months until your test date).

Once you do start taking PT's I would recommend 1 per week (2 at a maximum). PT's are how we measure progress, but they are not where the real growth occurs. Try doing more targeted drills between your PT's that target high priority question types or work on timing. This is where you can utilize more of the CC drills or build your own using the drills feature.

Also--dedicating more time to things like blind review, wrong answer journals and foolproofing might feel tedious, but it's where the real growth occurs. Building a study schedule of which sections you'd like to focus on each day between your PT's can give you some structure in between the PT's as well.

Hope that makes sense!

• Isaac12345Isaac12345 Core Member
    22 karma

Hi, I also had a question in regards to the original post. If one is to follow, in order, the syllabus from top to bottom, will I be directed to practice specific drill sets? Or, will I have to complete the entire syllabus before it is recommended to complete drill sets/prep tests?
    Thanks.