PTA.S1.Q3 - In a Democratic society, when a political..

manuro02manuro02 Live Member
edited January 2023 in Logical Reasoning 8 karma

Does anyone have an explanation for why the answer wouldn't be A? Thanks!

Admin Note: Edited title. Please use the format: "PT#.S#.Q# - brief description of the question.

Comments

• Benjamin_Benjamin_ Free Trial Member
    9 karma

You have an interesting question. I would like to know the answer myself.

• sprsplspigsprsplspig Core Member
    52 karma

Hi there!

A would be incorrect because the stimulus doesn't say anything about an expanding membership v. a stable membership. all we know is that when membership"exceeds a certain size," conflicting interests would surface. So according to the stimulus, I could have a HUGE but stable membership, like 1000000 people, and it would be less likely for it to be united/influential versus an expanding but super small membership (e.g. 1 members expanding to 20 members).

• AboutTheProcessAboutTheProcess Live Member
    16 karma

I was also almost tricked by A too, but after comparing A with D, "expanding" ≠ "as wide as possible." "As wide as possible" is more aligned with the stim's description "exceeds a certain size" whereas "expanding" could literally mean a group that started with 0 members and gained 3.

A could also be wrong because it compares an expanding group with one that is "numerically stable" but we don't know anything about groups with numerical stability. All we know is that there are groups that exceed a certain size vs. groups that do NOT exceed a certain size (which doesn't necessarily mean "numerically stable")