Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you approach Except questions

I need help how to approach these because I always get the answer wrong. For except strength questions am I looking for the weakest answer? and vice versa for weaken except questions? Thank you

Comments

• julia.grevejulia.greve Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    191 karma

Hey there,

These are definitely confusing questions. Whenever I see an "except" I decide to categorize each answer choice by what it does to the stimulus. I write down A-E on my paper and quickly write W, S, or N next to the answers for weaken, strengthen, and no effect. If I tried to remember the "except" part of the question I always got confused and mixed things up.

The purpose of this is to avoid keeping track of the objective. It's very confusing to remind yourself "am I looking for a strenghen? am I looking for a weaken?" This method takes that step out of the equation. By objectivity identifying what every answer does, you can find the odd man out and confirm at the end that the AC aligns with the "except" of the question stem.

Hope this helps!

• Legallyblack-2Legallyblack-2 Alum Member
    245 karma

@"julia.greve" said:
    Hey there,

These are definitely confusing questions. Whenever I see an "except" I decide to categorize each answer choice by what it does to the stimulus. I write down A-E on my paper and quickly write W, S, or N next to the answers for weaken, strengthen, and no effect. If I tried to remember the "except" part of the question I always got confused and mixed things up.

The purpose of this is to avoid keeping track of the objective. It's very confusing to remind yourself "am I looking for a strenghen? am I looking for a weaken?" This method takes that step out of the equation. By objectivity identifying what every answer does, you can find the odd man out and confirm at the end that the AC aligns with the "except" of the question stem.

Hope this helps!

Thank you it definitely does help!