Resume and Awards - Should I list all the awards and scholarships I received during college?

PPAEZCOL95PPAEZCOL95 Member
edited March 2023 in Law School Admissions 7 karma

Hi,

I am working on my law school resume and would like to know if I should list all the honor societies, awards, and scholarships I received during my college years. I also did debate in college, and I received awards there too. As I type them down, it starting to look like a lot, and I do not want to come across as arrogant or pretentious. For context, some of this includes Honor Societies ( 4), (6) merit scholarships, 5 college awards, and (5) debate awards. (Even writing this sound pretentious). Should I delete some and just list the most important ones?

I appreciate any advice

Thank You :)

Comments

• lawlewser101lawlewser101 Alum Member
    14 karma

My opinion is not professional WHATSOEVER, however, I'm impressed. You worked hard for those. Show them off.

• Jacob BaskaJacob Baska Member Admissions Consultant
    21 karma

Hey paula951005.paez,

Great question and just jumping in with an opinion from the perspective of an admissions consultant.

As with most things, the main answer is "it depends"! For example, these would certainly be appropriate to list if you are a current college senior or a recent grad (ie, one or two years out). However, if you're someone with 10 years experience then it's probably best to cut out most of your collegiate activities and awards except for perhaps the two or three things that mean the most to you and/or are the most impressive.

The one matter that I can say could be cut without thinking twice about are those merit scholarships. Most merit scholarships are awarded to students as they're coming into college. So that's really an award for being awesome in high school and that's not relevant once you're applying to law school.

I hope that helps!

• PPAEZCOL95PPAEZCOL95 Member
    7 karma

Hello @"jacob.baska"

Thank you so much for this information. It helped clarify my doubts. However, I still have some questions. I was a transfer student, and the merit scholarships I received were granted due to my years in community college. In other words, they were not from high school. Considering this, is it still irrelevant to mention the scholarships?

Again, thank you so much for your time and help.