Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Study Method Suggestion

mandy.tranmandy.tran Alum Member
in General 58 karma

Hello everyone,
I really want to hear about the study method that has helped you the most. I've taken the LSAT twice before and scored a 160 both times. My goal is to improve by at least six more points. Currently, whenever I take an untimed test, I score in the high 160s and low 170s, but on timed tests the score is often times in the low 160s. On test days, I take the test timed, do a blind review and then watch the explanation videos for questions I was unsure of and questions that I got wrong. It is often times difficult for me to sit through the videos and stay focused. I used this method for the last two times that I have studied for the test, and it obviously has not gotten me to the point where I want to be. I would love to hear about how you study for the test or if you have any suggestions! Thank you for your help!!!

Comments

• Clemens_Clemens_ Live Member
    299 karma

It might be helpful to rely less on other people's explanations. It sounds like you have a lot of experience with this test already, so why not try to self-assess after you took a PT to figure out on your own where you made mistakes and where you were right without using the videos? This procedure will force you to recognize recurring patterns, both with respect to your own strengths and weaknesses and with respect to the ways in which the LSAT tries to trick you into selecting wrong answers. If you are unsure why you got a given question wrong, write brief assessments of the individual answer choices so as to assess what they do right and what they do wrong. Use this as a tool to systematically review and compare answers; develop this into a long-term study habit that you make use of on a daily basis.

Not sure if this is helpful, but it might be worth trying really just using explanation videos as a last resort and to instead become as self-reliant a student as possible. Take notes on your progress, talk to friends and other test takers.