Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Deciding on a School (Canada)

alileresmalileresm Free Trial Member
edited May 2023 in Law School Admissions 18 karma

I need help deciding on a school! My deadline to accept (provisionally or firmly) uOttawa is tomorrow, but if I accept there, my acceptance from Osgoode will be cancelled. I'm not sure what to do. I know Osgoode is ranked much higher, but I'm nervous about living there. My career ambitions are to go into the government/human rights/non-profit/humanitarian/international development sector(s), and I simply don't know what to do. Maybe I could transfer schools if I end up not liking it? I'm so nervous! I have also yet to hear back from UBC or McGill, and I have a deferral from UVIC. Please help (in a gentle way, I'm quite fragile at the moment lol).
Edit:
I wanted to add that I would love to make community in law school as I went to a small commuter school in undergrad. I also want to consider the school's abroad program and opportunities for growth. Prestige isn't necessarily the most important thing but I would love to make kind friends and have a lot of opportunities within the subject areas that I want to pursue.

Comments

• Glutton for the LSATGlutton for the LSAT Alum Member
    edited May 2023 551 karma

Hi! Congratulations on getting into uOttawa and Osgoode. Your law school journey sounds like it will be an exciting and successful one regardless of which school you go to. At the end of the day, I want to emphasize that choosing which law school you go to should be a choice you make for yourself - while internet strangers can be helpful, there are still limitations to other people's opinions and personal research.

With that being said, I would consider your values: Do your finances matter? Can you afford to go to a more expensive school if that means better quality in some other regards? Do you value the school's general culture more than educational experience? Do you care about prestige? What area of law are you thinking of practicing in and which school has the best programs in terms of employment placements for those areas (I know you mentioned government and international development, so I'd research into those)?

Ultimately, the school you go to should reflect your values and current practical circumstance to ensure that you're in the program that will truly serve your goals and meet your needs.

Best of luck on your law school journey.

• summer1111summer1111 Core Member
    3 karma

Hi there. Congratulations on receiving an offer from OsGoode and UOttawa. Do you mind sharing what you scored on the lsat and how the application journey was?

• alileresmalileresm Free Trial Member
    18 karma

@summer1111 said:
    Hi there. Congratulations on receiving an offer from OsGoode and UOttawa. Do you mind sharing what you scored on the lsat and how the application journey was?

Hi summer, I forgot about this post, but hopefully my response can still be helpful in some way. I had a 170 lsat score with a GPA of 3.61/4.33. My journey was tough. I applied for the Sept. 2022 intake as well (only to UBC, McGill, UVIC, and TRU), and only got accepted to UVIC and TRU. I decided to defer my UVIC acceptance because of some personal circumstances and then I more broadly applied for the Sept. 2023 intake. I would really advise applying to as many schools as you can afford to, and let yourself consider schools that you aren't set on or sure about. Good luck!