Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

current format of the lsat

studentlifestudentlife Alum Member
edited May 2023 in General 34 karma

help what is the current format of the last (# of sections) and section type?

Comments

• Sashell - Student ServiceSashell - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
    252 karma

Hi @studentlife,

Since August 2021, the LSAT now has 4 sections:

1 section of Logic Games
    1 section of Reading Comprehension
    1 section of Logical Reasoning
    1 unscored section (could be any section type)

LSAC announced that the LSAT will retain this format for the next several years. For more details regarding this change, please visit: https://www.lsac.org/lsat/prepare/types-lsat-questions

Simulating Modern for the PrepTests in our Digital Tester will skip the second LR section. Please know that PrepTests 1-89 are all the “old” style LSAT that has 4 scored sections (2 LRs, 1 RC, and 1 LG). The experimental section is not included.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any further questions.

• studentlifestudentlife Alum Member
    edited May 2023 34 karma

thank you so much! is it true then that in the past we had:
    1 logic games section
    1 reading comprehension section
    2 logical reasoning sections
    1 experimental (could be any section type)

• koyakoyakoyakoyakoyakoya Alum Member
    17 karma

Thank you so much! I keep getting conflicting information but it must be because I'm looking at old materials.

• panofragispanofragis Alum Member
    9 karma

is there any break in between sections?

• justin.weir123justin.weir123 Alum Member
    3 karma

So, to be clear- is the LSAT shorter than it used to be? The second LR section has just been completely removed?

• Cherry - Student ServiceCherry - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
    1431 karma

@studentlife said:
    thank you so much! is it true then that in the past we had:
    1 logic games section
    1 reading comprehension section
    2 logical reasoning sections
    1 experimental (could be any section type)

Yes, this is correct. PrepTests 1-89 are all the "old" style LSAT that has 4 scored sections (2 LRs, 1 RC, and 1 LG). The experimental section is not included when released by LSAC.

@panofragis said:
    is there any break in between sections?

Yes, the online, live remote-proctored LSAT includes a 10-minute intermission between the second and third sections. During the 10-minute intermission, you can leave your testing area to have a snack or use the restroom. You will need to check in with your proctor before you can resume testing.

@"justin.weir123" said:
    So, to be clear- is the LSAT shorter than it used to be? The second LR section has just been completely removed?

Yes, this is correct. The old LSAT format has 5 sections in total (4 scored, 1 unscored). The current format has 3 sections in total (3 scored and 1 unscored).

Please let me know if you have any other questions! I am here to help.