Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Strengthening Causal Reasoning

VeganGuyVeganGuy Alum Member
edited May 2023 in Logical Reasoning 15 karma

When it comes to strengthening causal reasoning, I understand that offering other instances where a cause leads to an effect (cause -> effect) will act to strengthen an argument. In addition, I have read that offering instances where there is no cause there is no effect (no cause -> no effect) acts to strengthen arguments as well. One particular question that shows this logic is PT 66 Section 4 Question 12.

Is it true that (no cause -> no effect) acts to strengthen? I've tried to look into this and have come up with various answers.

Comments

• smithandrewsmith168smithandrewsmith168 Free Trial Member
    edited June 2023 2 karma

I don't know, I am also looking for it. If I found anything good, I will message you here. But before that I want to visit https://elizabethanauthors.org/literature-review-topics.htm here because I am looking for the literature review topics and on that website, I found a lot of them.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited May 2023 8318 karma

Yes. There are 5 ways to attack a causal argument on the LSAT. Show:

1. Cause without effect
    2. Effect without cause
    3. A reversal
    4. An alternative cause
    5. A problem with the data

To strengthen, stop one of those things from happening. In your example, you are showing that #2 does not happen. If you haven't yet, memorize that and drill using it on different causal argument based question types, inserting the subject matter to formulate versions specific to that question. Its also helpful to just make up your own causal arguments then weaken/strengthen. As soon as you see a correlative statement on the test you should be bringing those attacks to bear... like an automatic reaction.