Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reading Comp Strategy

praxismaxispraxismaxis Alum Member
edited August 2023 in Reading Comprehension 16 karma

Read the passage TWICE. Yes, you heard that right. Read it twice, but before you say that's ridiculous there's no time for that just hear me out.

The first time you read the passage you slowdown your reading highlighting or underlining key words that are significant, especially emphasizing transition periods in the passage. After you finish the passage, immediately read the passage as second time. But, you aren't really going to "read" the passage. what you are going to do is skim through line by line in a rapid pace, skipping detailed wording and summing up in your head what is is that you are rapidly skimming down. This should take you no longer then 30 seconds. What I found by doing this is that it significantly improves my understanding on the passage structure, almost on a subconcious level. The time you "lose" by doing this second reading is gained back when answering the questions. You will find that the correct answers immediately jump out to you more often and you could be averaging 15 seconds a question.

Let me know your thoughts on this strategy. I know it might be necessarily "new," however I'm interested if anyone else does this?

UPDATE

I actually do this in the reverse now. I find that it helps me with structure. I will literally skim the entire passage for like a solid minute, then read the passage, then answer questions. The 4 minutes you use doing this helped me a lot.

Comments

• urielb98urielb98 Member
    9 karma

gonna try it out

• Char BarbieChar Barbie Live Member
    50 karma

I’ll be trying this as well. How many more questions have you gotten right doing this?