Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please help...What can I do now? My June test was cancelled due to an alleged security violation

Molinae3Molinae3 Member

I took the June test on June 13, and while I was taking the last section of the test, the proctor abruptly terminated my test and would not tell me the reason for termination when I asked her but instead asked me to reach out to LSAC directly.

I immediately called the LSAC afterwards, and they simply told me to submit a test complaint via my account and wait for them to reply. After one day, the Office of Test Security replied by email that I was observed running an unpermitted software application, Cisco Webex, which violated section 16 of the Candidate Agreement (test takers are not permitted to operate or run any other software applications at any point during the testing session). They have cancelled my score and would not offer me a retest opportunity.

I promptly called the LSAC and again they told me to address my concerns by sending an email to the Office of Test Security, as they are solely in charge of handling test takers' complaints and cannot be reached by phone call! I had absolutely no knowledge that the app was being run. I made every reasonable effort to close open apps before the test, and I also believed any such app was already double-checked and closed by the proctors (there were two proctors in turn monitoring my test before the third proctor terminated it). So I wrote an email to the office as copied below:

In reference to your email regarding my June test complaint, the software application Cisco Webex has not been used or opened by me or anyone else on that computer for over six months. Before taking the test, I made all reasonable efforts as a general computer user to ensure that any open applications were closed. I distinctly recall the two proctors also double-checking and ensuring that such an application was closed.
Please provide proof that this application was actively operated on the computer. Additionally, please explain why, based on this proof, you were able to determine that any screen sharing or remote accessing might have occurred, potentially causing a violation of academic integrity. Furthermore, please clarify why, as a general computer user, I would have had any reasonable ability to know and prevent such technical issues from happening.

However, they basically dismissed my concerns, replying that they found it necessary to cancel my June 2023 LSAT score due to a violation of the Candidate Agreement, and I am not eligible for options in response to my complaint. They would not even give me any proof of their allegation!

I don't know what else I can do to raise my concerns and get a retest, other than giving LSAC a phone call and being dismissed by them again. I have prepared for this test for over a year in total and I am desperate to take the June retest (which is scheduled next week on June 21) because I probably wouldn't be able to test again in the near future due to my personal arrangements. If any of you have any advice as to what I can do now, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Comments

• mikalyn.greenzweigmikalyn.greenzweig Live Member
    503 karma

I have no words of advice, but just wanted to come on here and say that you are not alone. Took the June test this past week as well and I was interrupted 3 times by my proctor and lost a total of 6/7 minutes in total while taking the test. My proctor complained to LSAC saying she "couldn't see my full face when I was writing stuff down" (of course you can't?), and in return they also brought in another proctor and I was anxious throughout the entire duration of my test. This wasn't my first time taking the test in the setting I was taking it in. Afterwards, I received an email from LSAC saying they reviewed the footage just for them to say I was not in violation of anything but wasn't going to be granted for a retest, even though I lost a great amount of time...All that to say, I will unfortunately have to retest in August and I'm crossing my fingers that in-person testing will be better, because this is ridiculous.

Considering how difficult the LSAT already is, it is very frustrating that now as test takers we can't even take the test in peace no matter what we do on our end. I really hope LSAC gets back to you. I also have Cisco on my computer for work and my proctor also double checked to make sure it was closed down beforehand, if your proctors did the same, then I feel like this was a mistake on their part and not on yours. They should've notified you before you even started the test.

• JDream2025JDream2025 Alum Member
    990 karma

Proctors run through the systems to make sure everything is shut down prior to starting the test. So this is something on their part, not yours. Unless you grabbed the mouse and turned it on yourself, right. They should definitely let you retest.