Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thoughts!

harrismeganharrismegan Member
in General 2074 karma
Okay, I just wanted to post this. I know I post a lot sometimmmmeeeessss.

I don't know what my initial diagnostic score was, but I'm sure it was the worst. I started prepping for the LSAT last May of 2014. I started with Kaplan for a few months, then I eventually found 7Sage, but there wasn't enough time for me to get my *best* mark before the December 2014 write. I wrote anyways and received a sad 155.

I was discouraged to say the least! I didn't get into any of the schools I applied for (not surprising), but I decided to hit the books every single day since I took that exam, even if it was for an hour or two in the morning before work and on my lunch break.

I started taking timed PTs once a week since the end of May. I have taken 9 so far. I posted in June that I received my first 170! Yesterday I took PT 57 and received a 168. I took today to BR and I received a 180 for the first time EVER.

The point of this post is thiiiiissss. I remember reading so many discussions when I started last year about people reaching (what seemed like) impossibly amazing scores. I was so insecure with my ability and didn't really believe that I could do it. I also was naive to think that you could fully prep for this exam in such a short time period. And, while I don't mean to discourage those reading this who are within that tight time frame, I can say that I benefited most from sitting back, reassessing, and taking my TIME with prepping. Sure, I would have loved to start at a law school for this September, but when I was prepping back in 2014 I would literally wake up at 3 AM every day and study until 10 PM every night (after an 8 hour day, so I would study in the AM for 2-3 hours, on my lunch break, and then from 5-10 daily). It was exhausting to say the least. But, and more importantly, I wasn't ever giving my brain any opportunity to absorb the information it was taking in every single day. I couldn't let my brain process how to answer questions. I used to get so much test anxiety when sitting down to write a PT at 3 AM that I would almost make myself physically ill and then cry when a dismal 152 would pop up on the grader and I would wonder how on earth I could ever increase my score.

SO. THE point is this. You can do it, everyone has it in them, all it takes is consistency, perseverance, belief in your ability, and TIME.

:)

Comments

• AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    THANK YOU for this post.
  • notwilliamwallacenotwilliamwallace Alum Member
    edited August 2015 1049 karma
    @harrismegan said:
    You can do it, everyone has it in them, all it takes is consistency, perseverance, belief in your ability
    Very inspiring post, @harrismegan . I was so glad to read about your success!!!

"Life's battles aren't always won by the stronger or faster man (or woman). Sooner or later the man (or woman) who wins is the man (or woman) who thinks he (or she) can".
  • majilacudy3majilacudy3 Member
    39 karma
    Yes, thank you! I needed this today :)
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    So much good stuff here :) THIS is why we play the long game!
  • ttranc83ttranc83 Alum Member
    98 karma
    Inspired, no doubt!
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    I love this. Great job, @harrismegan
  • MatthewJAMatthewJA Alum Member
    52 karma
    Thanks @harrismegan for writing this. I agree with you that it can be overwhelming to see some people achieving such great marks in so little time, while others (like myself) need to take a more lengthy study approach. I have come to the conclusion though, that everybody has their own learning process and, by reading posts' like this, I can confirm that high scores will be achieved with dedication, a positive attitude and, perhaps a couple 1:30am 150 PTs (loved that part).

Keep working hard, and keep posting!
    7965 karma
    @MatthewJA said:
    while others (like myself) need to take a more lengthy study approach.
    me too, bro.
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    Me three. I may be on the 18-month plan
    7965 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor said:
    I may be on the 18-month plan
    15 month here, broseph