Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taking LSAT with 3 months of prep time

annafoo2230annafoo2230 Live Member
edited July 2023 in General 10 karma

Hi!

So I plan on taking my LSAT with 2-3 months of prep time... I know most take a lot longer, but I was hoping to see how practical it was.

I scored 155 on my first disgnostic exam with no prep. I have NOT taken another full exam as I'm trying to learn about the section types before retaking. On average I will get all LG right if I have enough time, which I figure it I keep practicing and keep doing them, it won't really be an issue (I missed 4 on my diagnostic so almost a full game, but I did have enough time to set up). But I am struggling on LR and RC, going through some lessons, it seems LR can be easily improved with more understanding of formatting.

I am also aiming for 170s :)

Please give opinions and any methods or tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    edited July 2023 2245 karma

It's impossible to predict how long it'll take you to improve. I've seen people with (roughly) the same initial scores take drastically different amounts of time to reach the same endpoint. Learning the test just comes more naturally to some than others. Is it possible that you'll reach the 170s within two or three months? Absolutely! A 155 is a great diagnostic. It's totally possible, though, that it'll take you longer than two or three months. Anybody that tells you they can accurately predict exactly how much you'll improve by a particular date is lying to you. I'm not saying that to discourage you, but rather to convey what I've observed. There's too many factors that go into how quickly someone improves, like natural ability, fluency with complex vocabulary, the quality of one's study sessions, etc.

Personally, I think it's far wiser to allow your scores to dictate when you sign up for the test, than to allow when you'd like to sign up for the test to dictate your score. I realize, though, that everybody has different circumstances and that's certainly not one-size-fits-all advice. I'll just say that if you don't absolutely have to take the test 2-3 months from now, you may want to consider letting your PT scores determine when you sign up. For most, I think putting an arbitrary deadline on when you have to stop studying can only serve to increase feelings of pressure. If you do need to take the test within 2-3 months, though, it's absolutely possible that you'll be scoring in the 170s. All you can do to control the likeliness of that happening is studying smart and studying hard!