Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I get more work/ volunteer experience to put on my resume for law school?

joannnaa.wanggjoannnaa.wangg Core Member
edited July 2023 in Law School Admissions 6 karma

Hi, I’m planning on taking the LSAT in July 2024 and I started studying a month ago. I’ve been working full time as a tattoo artist for 3 years and I graduated from my bachelors in 2021. I feel that I’ve acquired a lot of valuable skills as a tattoo artist such as communicating with clients, marketing, managing my schedule, I’ve traveled to work across Canada/ US, interacted with different types of people and learned how different shops manage/ operate. However, I’m worried that it wouldn’t be taken as seriously since I don’t work a conventional job.
I don’t have any corporate experience, I haven’t done any other work/ volunteer in the past 3 years and I didn’t assist in any research during undergrad. I’m wondering if I should pick up a volunteer or part time corporate job? I didn’t see any law related volunteer opportunities in my area but I did find some positions abroad. I’m open to all options and I’m still working but my schedule is very flexible. Thanks so much in advance for any advice!

Comments

• nicholas.leon96nicholas.leon96 Core Member
    edited July 2023 48 karma

I'm not expert but I would say no. From everything I've seen and gathered about the process, when it comes to "relevant" work experience they don't really count that stuff against you, only for you. It certainly wouldn't hurt but I don't think you should worry.

I think the commitment you've shown to your craft is a sufficient display of professionalism provided the rest of your application is on point. If your GPA and LSAT scores meet or exceed the median average for the school you want to get into, your letters of rec are glowing (and preferably from academic sources), and your personal statement is a finely crafted slice of you, you should have no problem. That last one in particular, you can probably draw on your experience as a tattoo artist to write a really good story that illustrates your character and how you've grown or endured in some respect.

I mean if you can get some of that experience you mentioned I'm sure it might be nice to throw on your resume but not at the expense of your job/livelihood and I wouldn't stress.

• jameelyusuf1994jameelyusuf1994 Free Trial Member
    9 karma

If you have great stats, then just apply. T14 law schools are actually very diverse and have a lot of nontraditional students. Getting work experience can be a good thing if you want to do it for your own benefit. Having legal work experience can be great because it can help you understand what you're getting yourself into.