Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many PT tests should I be taking?

zackfinezackfine Live Member
edited July 2023 in August 2023 LSAT 23 karma

I test in August and was wondering what would be the most efficient way to spread out PTs as I have a lot I have still not completed. I was taking one a day but felt I wasn't learning much, anyone have a better approach?

Comments

• AlexLSAT.AlexLSAT. Alum Member
    797 karma

How far are you from your target score?

I would say in general, 2/3 a week max. You need time to be able to process the material... if you take the test and don't analyze your mistakes, it will prove a lot less beneficial.

I take my LSAT in Sept and I am currently taking two a week (Thur/Sun) and then analyzing mistakes and drilling on the other days. I feel that this strategy has helped me improve quickly.

• zackfinezackfine Live Member
    23 karma

@AlexgLSAT said:

I would say in general, 2/3 a week max. You need time to be able to process the material... if you take the test and don't analyze your mistakes, it will prove a lot less beneficial.

I take my LSAT in Sept and I am currently taking two a week (Thur/Sun) and then analyzing mistakes and drilling on the other days. I feel that this strategy has helped me improve quickly.

Thank you for the help, I am about 2-3 points away from my target so I was hoping for one last big push these last few weeks.

797 karma

@zackfine said:

@AlexgLSAT said:

Thank you for the help, I am about 2-3 points away from my target so I was hoping for one last big push these last few weeks.

If you're 2/3 points away.. I would heavily suggest taking fewer PTs (3 a week max) with the main focus being on analyzing your mistakes. This is especially true if your target is in the 170s and you're scoring like a 167. Once you know the basics of the test, the process becomes more focused on figuring out patterns of incorrect answers, figuring out why you're missing them, and then drilling that particular section. For example, on my last two PTs, 80% of the LR questions I missed were hard strengthen questions. I drilled them for two days before taking another PT and saw improvement.

Additionally, taking a PT every day can also lead to mental fatigue and decreased PT scores... allow your brain to relax and retain the knowledge.

Hope this helps!

• Isaac12345Isaac12345 Core Member
    22 karma

Hello, I had a question in reference to this. Is it generally recommended to complete the entire curriculum before attempting any full PT's ?

• PremisesPremises Core Member
    25 karma

@AlexgLSAT said:

@AlexgLSAT said:

When you say you are drilling hard strengthen questions, what do you mean by that? I stay away from using the drilling function because im afraid it will take questions from PTs that I will want to take in the future, and thus make those PTs "not fresh". Please let me know, thanks!

797 karma

@Isaac12345 said:
    Hello, I had a question in reference to this. Is it generally recommended to complete the entire curriculum before attempting any full PT's ?

I would take a diagnostic, then complete the entire CC, then go into PT and drilling. Up to you at the end of the day, but doing PTs before knowing fundamentals can be bad since there are a limited amount of PTs.

edited July 2023 797 karma

@Premises said:

@AlexgLSAT said:

@AlexgLSAT said:

When you say you are drilling hard strengthen questions, what do you mean by that? I stay away from using the drilling function because im afraid it will take questions from PTs that I will want to take in the future, and thus make those PTs "not fresh". Please let me know, thanks!

I make my own problem set from 4* and 5* strengthening questions from PTs 1-35. I have done the majority of them already so I'll retake some as well so I don't use more recent material.

Also, if you're not using LSAT Analytics (under the practice tab) its a game changer. Shows you the question types you should drill.

Hope this helps!