Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MBT Mastery tips

Justice CMJustice CM Live Member

I am struggling with MBT questions I took my time on the MBT lessons but still struggled with the drill. How should I approach improving my accuracy for MBT questions?

Comments

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    2239 karma

It's hard to say without knowing exactly how you're struggling. One thing I try to keep in mind while reading the stimulus for a MBT question is we're not allowed to bring in even the smallest amount of outside information. It doesn't matter if the question is discussing a topic you know like the back of your hand; all you can reference in the answer choices is what's told to you in the stimulus. Then, in the answer choices, I like to remind myself that literally any hole you can poke in an answer choice is valid. Your counter doesn't have to make much intuitive sense. For example, if an answer choice says "the only way the frog can jump is by using its legs," you could counter the answer choice with "what if the frog designs a jetpack that allows it to jump?" Using common sense, we realize this counter is ridiculous, but unless the stimulus explicitly rules it out, it's a legitimate counter and falsifies the answer choice. The correct answer, alternatively, will be 100% unfalsifiable, regardless of how you question it. So if another answer choice says "the frog is only allowed to jump on Tuesdays," and the stimulus says something like "the frog isn't allowed to jump on any day of the week other than Tuesday," the answer choice would be correct. You can throw as many absurd counters at it as possible, logical or illogical, and the answer choice just can't be proven wrong.

I hope this helps!