PTF97.S2.Q7 - Shahar's work as it is described in the passage...

eeljasonnneeljasonnn Live Member
edited September 2023 in Reading Comprehension 78 karma

Could someone explain why A is the answer? In the passage, the idea of "indifference toward offspring as a defense mechanism against establishing close ties with infants unlikely to survive" was mentioned in the first paragraph and not in relation to Shahar's actual work.

Shahar does explain that parents did feel affection for their children though, but he doesn't mention anything about the fact that many infants were unlikely to survive. That's why I said A was not answered.

However, is it enough that Shahar's work says parents felt affection for their children to say that he answered the question posed by A? I wasn't sure how important the "spite of the fact that many infants were unlikely to survive" part was.

Thanks.

Comments

• nnekaryanne5nnekaryanne5 Alum Member
    19 karma

Hey, I think A was mostly implied by Shahar saying that parents expressed concern for their children and most of what Shahar was saying was that children did matter, which was the opposite of the first paragraph claim. I think the answer was C because it was the better answer, in that the last paragraph says that Shahar's work specifically doesn't address the changing perception of the family, which is line 58-60 in the passage. I think this question was mostly making sure you caught that final line of the passage/main point of that paragraph that even though Shahar explains that, they still don't address a main point of the argument in P1.

I hope this makes sense! lol