Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nerves affecting timing on actual exam

charlottehall33973charlottehall33973 Alum Member
edited November 2013 in December 2013 LSAT 29 karma
Hi all,

I wrote my October LSAT and found that I was so nervous that finishing sections seemed to be much harder than when I did my own practice tests (I always finished with time to spare usually). Needless to say I scored my worst score yet - 149, whereas I was scoring high 150s in my practice tests. I am trying for a new tactic in December- finishing 20 of 25 questions say on the LR and RC so that I achieve higher accuracy as opposed to rushing through to finish but getting 16/17 right on a section. Does anyone do anything similar? Or have any other suggestions as to how I can improve? My goal is a 158-160. Thanks!

Comments

• LPLPLPLPLPLPLPLP Free Trial Member
    edited November 2013 39 karma
    I absolutely struggle with nerves as well and I have a suggestion:
    Think about turning your anxiety into intensity. I like to think of anxiety as energy that I am just wasting which is such an insult to all the time and effort I have put into the LSAT: I have something to do, I know I can do it, why am I burning up brain power on thinking that I can't/won't/AHHH? Take all of that nervous energy and harness it. This requires (at least for me) literally pausing, closing my eyes, and taking a really, really deep breath while imagining a straight path in front of me. When I feel a little out of control I'll just firmly tell myself to center my thoughts and re-focus. My heart rate lowers, I'll stop jigging my leg around, and my inner thoughts are clear and singular. It has taken some training but I'm definitely getting to a much more sane place with the test and my scores have shown that.

I guess I could touch on strategy and timing but if nervousness or anxiety stopped you from performing your best I think training your thoughts should be high on your list. I've seen a lot of improvement since I actively decided to center on the test rather than whatever voice was freaking out in my head.