Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about "institutions attended" on LSAC

Hi folks,

This isn't a question about the LSAT, but it is a question about law school admissions and in particular the LSAC, so I hope it's still permissible to ask it on this forum.

I've not yet purchased CAS (Credential Assembly Service), and I'd like to do so as soon as possible (preferably by next week). I understand that in order to do that I need to list all of the institutions I've attended.

But on the page on the LSAC where I'm supposed to add all the institutions I've attended, I find this sentence: "Please carefully review your responses before selecting the Confirm button to submit your institutions attended to LSAC. Once you click on Confirm, you will not be able to edit your institutions."

This wouldn't be a problem if I were absolutely certain which institutions I should list, but I'm not. For:

1. I studied abroad for a year and I'm not absolutely certain I don't need an international transcript in addition to my domestic transcript. I don't THINK I do because I only attended for a year and the program was sponsored by my home institution, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

2. I believe I took two college courses from a different institution (not my undergraduate institution and not my study abroad institution) when I was in high school, but I can't remember exactly. Maybe it was three. And I don't remember the exact year.

The question: is it really the case that I have to know definitively the answer to these questions before I can "select the Confirm button"? Is it really true that I can't edit the school information page/the institutions attended page if I figure out I've made a mistake or that I do need to add the study abroad institution or that I do need to add the school I attended while I was a high school student.

I find it inconceivable that LSAC wouldn't allow people to make edits to that page in case they make a mistake or need to supplement it.

Am I wrong?

Comments

• 2tUSSCs-1-1-1-12tUSSCs-1-1-1-1 Alum Member
    84 karma

Can someone please answer this question? Thanks!

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    edited August 2023 2239 karma

@2tUSSCs-1-1-1-1 Sorry to see your question went unanswered. I remember when I first saw that sentence about being unable to edit institutions in the future I was shocked. I was positive that I knew which institutions I'd attended, for how long, and how many credits I had received from each, however, so I never bothered to make sure I couldn't edit my institutions in the future. Because you're in a stickier situation, I'd advise that you just call LSAC directly. I seriously doubt many people on this forum can confidently give you a 100% correct answer, as most people on this forum probably aren't highly familiar with LSAC's policies. Even if someone tries to answer your questions, I'd be skeptical of their answer. If the respondent was a verified admissions consultant from 7Sage I'd probably feel okay about it, but if it was anybody else I frankly wouldn't listen. It's not worth the risk of them being wrong and your application getting messed up.

The only advice I can confidently give you is that you can likely call the institution you took classes with in high school and verify the number of courses you took, the timeframe you were enrolled in the courses, the number of credits you received, etc. I'm confident in this advice because I took a couple of classes at a community college in high school and didn't have to request the transcript from the community college for LSAC until about four years later, and when I called the community college they told me it was legally required for them to keep records on every student until (I believe) five years after they'd left the institution. That window of time could certainly vary by state and institution, however, so I'd say just call the dean of students' office/the front desk of the institution you attended in high school and explain to them your situation. I guarantee they'll know how to help you.

Sorry I couldn't directly answer your questions but I hope this helps some!

• 2tUSSCs-1-1-1-12tUSSCs-1-1-1-1 Alum Member
    84 karma

Great, thanks for responding. This is useful information. I still find it hard to believe that their policy is literally not to permit edits to the information. I just can't conceive of a rationale. I have tried to call LSAC, and email it, but haven't gotten through. I'll keep at it. Thanks again!

• Jacob BaskaJacob Baska Member Admissions Consultant
    21 karma

Hey 2tUSSCs-1-1-1-1,

Thanks for your messages and sorry that we missed it! You're right, the admissions consulting team doesn't typically scan our LSAT pages as often to see if there are questions to answer!

With that said - hey! My name is Jake and I'm one of the admissions consultants at 7Sage. Prior to joining our team, I was the director of admissions/fin aid at a law school for seven+ years. I hope I can be of assistance!

First and as Matt Sorr suggested - track down your transcripts. I would suggest obtaining copies of your transcript for your own records. That also then allows you to be as accurate as possible when creating your CAS account.

Regarding dual enrollment classes, you will likely have to report those. Any and all baccalaureate credits have to reported to LSAC.

Regarding your study abroad classes, check your undergrad transcript (eg, School A) first before worrying about obtaining a transcript from the foreign institution (eg, School B). If School A has a study abroad agreement with School B, your classes/credits/grades from School B will likely appear on your School A transcript. If that's the case, then you only need to send your School A transcript to LSAC. Again, the keys here are if your School A transcript shows your classes, credit hours, and grades received from School B.

I hope that helps! Feel free to drop a follow up note here if you'd like (and also do feel free to connect with our team via the "Schedule a Free Consultation" link on this page: https://7sage.com/admissions/pricing/).

Best,
    Jake Baska

• amdhill08amdhill08 Alum Member
    120 karma

@"Jacob Baska"
    I have a similar question. I noticed today that CAS's options for education show Bachelors, Masters, or Doctorate degree as level of completion. They do not include Associates or no degree received. I attended two colleges before receiving my Associate's degree, then attended college a decade later for my undergrad. I do know my Associate's degree credits were transferred to the college for my Bachelor's Degree. Do I only submit the school in which I earned the Bachelor's Degree? I hope this makes sense! Thank you for your help.

• azah.thomasazah.thomas Live Member
    4 karma

I need an answer to @amdhill08 as well!

• LivinLaVidaLSATLivinLaVidaLSAT Live Member
    648 karma

@"azah.thomas" It would behoove you to reach out to LSAC directly for a legit answer. In situations like this, go straight to the source for clarity and an official answer. I would feel most comfortable proceeding with the instructions LSAC provides. Whatever a peer says here, I would still have to verify with LSAC. So why not just skip the extra step? Don't delay. Contact LSAC today so you can check on his off your list.