PTF97.S3.Q23 - Sometimes individuals must choose between two courses of action...

kjuy2023kjuy2023 Core Member
edited August 2023 in Logical Reasoning 9 karma

Can someone please explain why C is the answer? I had originally chosen that but changed my answer last minute to E. (Fatal mistake, I know..)

Comments

• luffyyyyluffyyyy Live Member
    651 karma

E is the correct AC, not C.

• sunset333sunset333 Alum Member
    9 karma

So why is E the correct answer?

• beauchamtkbeauchamtk Core Member
    3 karma

E is the correct answer. It is the only choice that describes the government acting to influence individual behavior so that residents will not have to choose between what is good for them and what is good for the city. The principle described in the stimulus is about aligning the individual's interests with the community's interests so that "what is the best choice for individuals is the best choice for the community." By increasing the electricity rate, the government discourages people from using too much electricity. Individuals do not want to pay more money, so they will likely make choices that use less energy and that will help the community avoid electricity shortages.

The other answers fail because they do not describe the government attempting to change individual behavior. C fails particularly because the government is not trying to influence the choices of laid-off workers. In fact, it appears the government is having to choose between two kinds of programs. They decide to appease the laid-off workers by taking funds away from programs benefiting the community and devoting them to the laid-off workers. The principle described does not apply to this scenario.