Timing/Pacing

BDashnyam17-1BDashnyam17-1 Free Trial Member
edited November 2013 in General 18 karma
I am still trying to get the timing right. Recognize that there will be questions that I will have to skip and come back to if I have time at the end. Would really benefit hearing from those of you who finish all the questions within the 35 min and still maintain good accuracy on how you pace yourself and what are the benchmarks you stick to when doing timed PTs. By all means they are meant to be flexible.

From what I have read:

LR- First 10 in 10 min or less (and if possible first 15 in 15 min)
LG- Easy games under 5 min (someone wrote doing the first two games within 15 min)
RC- Easy passages under 7 and hard passages under 9 (aim to finish the first two passages within 15 min)

Comments

• KatherineKatherine Alum Member
    136 karma
    Hi BD,

I'm absolutely in the same boat with you on timing and pacing. It's really the area I need to work on most. I have finally improved my accuracy to between 85-100% on the questions that I answer in each section, and now it's really a matter of trying to give myself a fair chance at all the questions.

I'm going to try to focus on 2 strategies:

1) being strict about SKIPPING hard questions. Although I know I should do this, the LSAT can get the best of me. But, I think it's always worse to find easy questions I didn't have time to get to, than simply not get a difficult question right.

2) Doing more 35-minute sections. My goal is to do 4 additional 35-minute sections throughout the week between PTs on the weekend. I think that this will help get the 35-minute clock and intuition ingrained in my brain and nerves in these final weeks. As someone who works full-time, I can't do more than 1 PT a week...so this is my solution.

Thanks for any additional ideas!
  • BDashnyam17-1BDashnyam17-1 Free Trial Member
    18 karma
    Thanks, Katherine! Good luck!
  • K SK S Free Trial Member
    86 karma
    I realized today I should do the same thing. Thank you for the strategy Katherine, I am definitely going to start doing the same thing. In addition, I took a proctored practice test today, and the girl next to me had this divers watch:

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-MRW200H-1BV-Black-Resin-Watch/dp/B005JVP0LE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1385327402&sr=8-5&keywords=lsat+watch

It doesn't make any sound and you can time it to 35 minutes. AND it is analog, so it goes with LSAC's rules...I suppose it isn't the most attractive watch on the planet. But in case anyone else is struggling with timing like me/doesn't remember the time the proctor said start...

• KatherineKatherine Alum Member
    136 karma
    Absolutely, KS!

Also- reset any analog watch to the hour at the start of each 35-minute section. You don't have to do the math in your head, and during the LSAT the actual time of day doesn't matter.

Good luck!
  • Peter ParkerPeter Parker Free Trial Member
    13 karma
    Something that really helped me was:

With LR, starting from questions 21-25/26, then do 1-20, this really helped a lot. Like you I wasn't finishing the sections, until I switched to this format, also I find that I am scoring higher because of this. I spend about 8 Min max on those questions because they tend to be harder or longer, they stack parallel questions here....with LG, you just have to practice. and RC, well, I still struggle on this one....but give the LR a try and let us know how it works...