Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scored Lower on Aug Test than on PTs

MimiLSATMimiLSAT Alum Member
edited August 2023 in August 2023 LSAT 27 karma

Feeling very discouraged as I was scoring in the 165-169 range on my PTs and got my score back in the high 150s from the August test. I got test anxiety as I was taking it and ran into timing as an issue which does not usually happen. I knew after I took the August test it would not be my best, but I didn't think I would go down that drastically from my average PTs. I am taking the September test and also registered for the October one just in case. I know I can get a much better score, but I am feeling a little bit deflated now. Anyone have any advice or also has had this experience?

Comments

• Wario FanWario Fan Alum Member
    22 karma

Hey there! I scored lower than expected on my actual LSAT as well, and since I've started studying for my retake I've learned a couple things that might help you out. I think one major lesson is that PT scores aren't necessarily a perfect reflection of the actual test because they're scored based on all four sections rather than just three on the actual LSAT. This could make a big difference if you're stronger on certain sections more than others. Basically, striving for consistent numbers across every section is the best way to prepare for/gauge your desired score on the real thing.

I also realized that I probably wasn't as prepared as I should have been for my first LSAT, and basically promised myself that I wouldn't retake until my scores were consistent and accurate regarding my goals. It sounds like you're putting a lot of pressure on yourself and kind of hoping that you'll score better by registering for lots of tests, but if you want to increase your odds it may be better to take a step back and put some serious time into studying and refining your scores until they're consistent. As painful as that might sound, it's definitely been the right decision for me.

I can't say I have much experience with test anxiety, but I've definitely been thrown off by questions or sections and ran into timing issues. That happens less and less as I've continued to practice and become familiar with the test. If you can fall in love with the process it can be really rewarding. I hope this made sense and it was somewhat helpful.

Best of Luck!

• soapsoapsoapsoapsoapsoap Core Member
    54 karma

I had the same situation, was testing 166-169 and got a lower score in the 160s on two occasions. After my second test, I realized I was putting a lot of blame and pressure on myself, even though I didn't feel much test anxiety going in the second time. I really wanted to max out my score, so I decided to take more time and not crunch more tests before applying. But I made that decision with the assumption I'd just work on my resume in the mean time, since I'm in no rush to go to law school, so it depends on everyone's personal situation. I think at this point, I've made the test such an ingrained part of my schedule, that it's been normalized to me, which might be a useful strategy for you. If it's any help, try to think of every real test as just another practice test with a "meaningless" score, instead of letting yourself ruminate and think that every practice test is like the real test.