Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Took my first PT, confused about scoring?

dragoonumgtdragoonumgt Core Member
edited September 2023 in General 8 karma

Hi, I started studying for the LSAT 14 days ago, ran through about a 1/3 of Mike Kim and did about 10% of 7sage's LG CC. I decided to just take a diagnostic today now that I'm at least familiar with the question types, and stupidly I forgot to check the "modern" box on the older PT I was taking, so I ended up doing 2 LRs. Well, LR is my biggest weakness it seems.

I got -2 on RC, -4 and -6 on the two LRs, and -3 on LG, equal to 165 according to 7sage. I'd imagine that if this were a modern test, my score would be different since there is only 1 scored LR section. Does anyone know how I can convert? I know that each of the 3 sections is weighted equally nowadays, not sure if this was the case back then. Was each LR 25% of the test, or were the two LRs together 33% of the test? Thanks a bunch.

Comments

• KangtimeKangtime Alum Member
    74 karma

I believe it was 25% each, and you got the same score on both LRs so Im guessing it's equal to about 165 in modern anyways

• Cynical Bean CounterCynical Bean Counter Alum Member
    66 karma

Congrats on the 165 diagnostic. If that's the case, you've scored better than the majority of testers even after completing training. Keep it up, a 170+ is surely in your future.

• Cherry - Student ServiceCherry - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
    1453 karma

@dragoonumgt said:
    Hi, I started studying for the LSAT 14 days ago, ran through about a 1/3 of Mike Kim and did about 10% of 7sage's LG CC. I decided to just take a diagnostic today now that I'm at least familiar with the question types, and stupidly I forgot to check the "modern" box on the older PT I was taking, so I ended up doing 2 LRs. Well, LR is my biggest weakness it seems.

I got -2 on RC, -4 and -6 on the two LRs, and -3 on LG, equal to 165 according to 7sage. I'd imagine that if this were a modern test, my score would be different since there is only 1 scored LR section. Does anyone know how I can convert? I know that each of the 3 sections is weighted equally nowadays, not sure if this was the case back then. Was each LR 25% of the test, or were the two LRs together 33% of the test? Thanks a bunch.

Hi there,

If you want to estimate your score with only 3 sections like the modern LSAT, you can use our Modern LSAT Score Estimator which is based on having the same raw-to-scaled conversion table, but scored as though there was only one LR section (one half of the usual amount) with the raw score scaled up to account for the reduction in the number of questions. Because no one outside of LSAC knows how the scoring will actually be done, this is just an educated guess.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

• dragoonumgtdragoonumgt Core Member
    edited September 2023 8 karma

@Kangtime said:

I believe it was 25% each, and you got the same score on both LRs so Im guessing it's equal to about 165 in modern anyways

My thought process was that if the sections are weighted differently then vs. now, then the score would be different unless you did equally well (or badly) on all 3 types of sections.