Early Decision advice - Columbia vs. NYU

azlawgirlazlawgirl Member
edited October 2023 in Law School Admissions 34 karma

I need some advice. My two top (reach schools) are NYU and Columbia. I am deciding which to apply early decision to. For context I have a 3.9 GPA from a top undergrad university, will have 3 years of work experience at a top management consulting firm, and 166 LSAT (largely impact by working 70+ hour weeks and limited study time). I also have some interesting extracurriculars, etc.

If I look at the LSAT predictor on 7sage (taking with grain of salt):

• Columbia - No ED 14%, ED 20%
  • NYU - No ED 25%, ED 33%

I know odds are low either way (so maybe it doesnt really matter). I am not necessarily super set on going to law school (will go to biz school if it does not work out because likely better odds BUT if I get into Columbia I would 100% go). It would be great to get any advice!! thanks so much :)

Comments

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    2239 karma

As you allude to, according to the 7Sage predictor, your odds are pretty similar for both. Seeing as predictors can never give definitive odds, it's hard to say whether the thirteen-percentage point difference between your odds at the two schools is consequential. So, personally, I don't think applying based on those odds is the wisest choice.

I think it's far more important to consider your personal aspirations. You said you're "not necessarily super set on going to law school." Are you saying you'd only like to go if you get into a top program? Or that you're not sure you'd like to go to law school at all? If it's the latter, I'd do some deep thinking before applying ED anywhere, regardless of prestige. If you apply ED to one of those places and get accepted, you'll be in a binding contract to attend a program for 3 years of your life that'll probably cost north of 250k when it's all said and done. I think it would be wise to do as much as you can to verify your desire to go into law before shooting off those applications. If it's the former, I think you should probably ask yourself which campus you like more, which school is more highly regarded for whichever areas of law you're interested in, how debt-adverse you are, etc. Both schools are great, and I'm sure you'd get an awesome education and a valuable degree from either, so I'd base my decision on some of my personal preferences.

I just think there are a lot of highly personal factors that go into making a decision like the one you're contemplating, and strangers on this forum couldn't possibly know you well enough to give you sound advice. Apologies if I'm assuming too many things about you and your thought process, though!

• azlawgirlazlawgirl Member
    34 karma

@Matt Sorr Thank you for your thoughtful response this is super helpful! From my understanding for early decision is binding in that if you go to law school you have to go to that select school, but if it wouldnt force me to go to law school? I may post seperate thread on this - thanks for bringing that up

• azlawgirlazlawgirl Member
    edited October 2023 34 karma

@"Matt Sorr" Thank you for your thoughtful response this is super helpful! From my understanding for early decision is binding in that if you go to law school you have to go to that select school, but if it wouldnt force me to go to law school? I may post seperate thread on this - thanks for brini