Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Daily Schedule Tips?

kataaceveodkataaceveod Live Member
in General 10 karma

I am currently studying 20 hours a week, and I take one or two days off. Each study session goes between 3-5 hours, sometimes I go more than that. This is how my study days typically looks like:
M: Drill 2-3 games and review
T: Drill 2-3 games and review
W: R.C and L.R (drill 10-15 questions), review my answers
Th: finish reviewing my answers from the previous day if I didn't finish. Then drill more L.R and R.C
F: Drill one logic game, 10 L.R and R.C
S: Review my answers and drill the three sections again.
S- Rest

I've been studying since May and I don't see that I am improving at Logic Games and I honestly feel so discouraged. From May-July I spent my time reading some books to learn about the different questions types and worked through some problems but I wasn't actively drilling, I was just reading mostly about the LSAT and using the Powerscore Bibles. It wasn't until August that I started drilling and practicing almost every day. I do review the core concepts and question types, things I learned earlier in my study, but it's been two months of drilling and I feel like I am not improving :/
I haven't done any practice tests because I want to get comfortable with my drilling first and getting my answers right before I take any practice tests. I am doing good with R.C, and L.R I am alright but conditional rules is confusing to me still. Some days I get almost all of my L.R answers and others I don't. L.G I absolutely suck doesn't matter how much I study. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to study L.G every day? Or is this just part of the process and maybe I am being too harsh? I feel like I somewhat wasted my time just reading the core concepts first during those three months of my LSAT study maybe I should've drilled more, I don't know.... I am taking my test on January. If anyone has any tips I would greatly appreciate.

Comments

• ELWOODS24ELWOODS24 Live Member
    59 karma

Hi! I'm also taking my test in January, and Logic Games has been a WAY harder learning curve than I thought. I will say that 3-5 of study 6 days a week honestly might be too much. Right now, I average 2 hours a day, and feel burned out the days after I go more than 3 or 4 hours, but of course all of that is relative to what works best for you. What I'm currently doing is going through the logic curriculum, drilling the question types as I learn them ( so this week I'm doing the curriculum for sequencing games, and drilling them at the same time, next week I'll do the curriculum for grouping, while continuing to drill sequencing.
    It sounds like you might need to change up the methods you're using to work the games. Any advice is going to have something to do with you timing. How long are games taking you (for easy ones and hard ones)? If you're finishing quickly, but getting more wrong than you'd like that's different situation than if you're taking a while and still getting more wrong than you want to. My time's been a struggle for me, but I've gotten it down to less than 5 minutes for some really easy ones by first learning the concept, then drilling it with no regard for time, then, when I have the concept down, drilling with increasingly decreasing time until I can consistently get it in under 6 minutes.
    Drilling won't do you any good if you're not learning from it. Are you keeping and reviewing a wrong answer journal? Are there patterns in the types of questions that trip you up or take you a long time? Are you ever fool proofing games? Are you using blind review?
    Also remember that Logic Games is the easiest to learn, but also tricky and so different from most of what we've had to do before. You CAN learn this, you just need to figure out how you get it to click/stick in your head.

• AlexLSAT.AlexLSAT. Alum Member
    edited October 2023 802 karma

I really think you should be doing full timed sections if possible. Doing 2-3 LG or 10-15 LR won't get you ready for test day in the same way as taking one timed section and reviewing will. You also need to be keeping a wrong answer journal and intensely reviewing your mistakes.

My week schedule looks like this:
    Sun - Practice Test/BR/Review wrong answers
    M - F - alternate one timed section/review a day depending on what I am feeling weakest at. Recently it's been 3 RC sections and 1 section of LG and LR.
    Sat - break day

• Hassanat_bahHassanat_bah Alum Member
    49 karma

Hey! This is my second time study for the LSAT. I had taken the exam last January and score way below my median. I took a 4 months break and now I'm here for the second time. I use to suck at LG too but what made me improve was strictly doing LG for a month without doing the other sections. I take a timed section everyday and sometimes untimed. Repeat the section if necessary to see if I really understood the concept after reviewing. Don't be too hard on yourself. It takes time. But really start taking timed sections. I use to not to take time sections and practice test in the past and it reflected on me when I took the official exam. You improve with timed section or full test. Also BLIND REVIEWWWW. Good luck!!!! You gonna be fine just remember we all in the same boat.

• daciaochoadaciaochoa Live Member
    63 karma

I think your study schedule is good because you give yourself one day of rest and you also don't overstudy or cause yourself to burn out before test day. However, I think it is time you start implementing one practice test a week. This way, you will be keeping track of your progress in an accurate manner. Unfortunately, just doing daily drills does not at all prepare you for how strenuous the LSAT is as a whole.

Therefore, I strongly advise you to follow your study schedule with the use of wrong answer journal for each section. For example, one journal for LG, and etc. Also for each practice test, be sure to conduct a blind review and annotate each wrong answer along with your reasoning.

If you still see a lack of progress, I think you should review your core curriculum and really establish your foundation on what the exam is testing. A low score or a lack of improvement does not mean that you're not studying hard enough but that you're not understanding the material for which you are going to be tested on.

Fortunately, you still have time, don't be so hard on yourself. You got this!

• kataaceveodkataaceveod Live Member
    edited October 2023 10 karma

Thank you so much to everyone who took the time to reply back, I really appreciate it. I learned a lot of about my study routine that I need to improve on and make changes to. Reviewing better and taking prep tests are things I’m going to start doing.

Thanks again, and good luck on the test!!