PTC.S4.Q1 - Naturalists have long studied the ability...

imdoldolimdoldol Alum Member
edited October 2023 in Reading Comprehension 27 karma

I was confused between answer choices A and E for this one.

Is A incorrect because it leaves out the part about researchers being puzzled by how kinglets are able to survive cold winter nights? I was trying to figure out if answer choice A had any descriptive/factual errors, but I couldn't find any, so I'm guessing the problem is that it doesn't address the fact that scientists are trying to figure out the mechanisms behind the birds' survival.

That seems to be the only difference between A and E.

Comments

• hendrickshendricks Live Member
    388 karma

Hi there,
    I think the key to distinguishing A and E is actually in the last sentence of the passage. A is too strong; the researchers did not "refute" Darwin. Refute means to throw all of his ideas out the window. Instead, E gets it right by suggesting that the researchers "revised" Darwins theory which is less strong. In fact, "revise" is the verb that's used in the last sentence, so that's how we can be confident in E. I hope this helps!

• imdoldolimdoldol Alum Member
    27 karma

Hi! Thank you for your comment. I actually meant section 4 question 1, so I was looking for help with the first question of passage 1 (North American forest birds). Sorry for the confusion!