Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Strugglingggg with logic games. Please tell me what works for you!

khaneashakhaneasha Alum Member

I have been trying to improve logic games but I end up getting confused sometimes and I just do not know how to improve

Comments

• nilab.nawabinilab.nawabi Free Trial Member
    7 karma

The thing(s) that helped me the most for logic games was: 1.) The book "The LSAT Trainer" by Mike Kim, and 2.) getting a tutor/watching someone do things live. The book really helps break down the different types of logic games, how to diagram them, how to answer certain questions, and is just all around a fantastic study guide for all things LSAT related. I also needed to have someone I could run my wrong answers past, and understand how it was done.

Hope this helps!

• Juan23vrJuan23vr Live Member
    303 karma

I found myself really stressing over the best method and trying different approaches from various sources. It really made a big difference when I simplified my approach no matter the type of game.
    1 when writing rules down mark any repeating players and try to combine them with another rule
    2 constantly be on the look out for highly restricted spots/players
    3 I found that not even trying to deduce up front for the highest difficulty games is better because they are difficult and time consuming on purpose and will be best resolved as you go through the game.
    I average - 0 or -2 now on LG
    Try it if it helps if not try something else :]

• 1stWorldProblems1stWorldProblems Live Member
    574 karma

do you want to work on LG with us tmr? here is the link. https://discord.gg/uEGvuhC2
    we have a scheduled LG study session at 1pm ET, if you can make it, going to be doing 4, 5 star misc games.

• Johnny TsunamiJohnny Tsunami Core Member
    edited October 2023 181 karma

In addition to what the others have said, I definitely recommend the foolproofing method, where you just repeat logic games that give you difficulty over and over again until you can pretty much do it from memory. It trains you to make inferences which are essential for getting good at LGs and its a principle you can apply to virtually all of them as the vast majority of games you will come across are "cookie cutter."

I used to suck at Logic Games but that method has helped me hugely and given me so much confidence that I actually look forward to doing it when taking a prep test.

• Natalie PfeifleNatalie Pfeifle Alum Member
    11 karma

I went from scoring -3 to -6 and consistently going over the time limit to scoring -0 to -1 and having extra time to spare after a month of drilling, drilling, and more drilling.

It may not work for everyone, but I found that forcing myself to do harder drills, then watching J.Y.'s explanation, and doing the drill immediately after helped subconsciously cement a lot of thought processes.

After a week or two, I'd do the same game again and repeat the process if I found I was still struggling. Eventually, when I went back to do easier logic games, it was a breeze.

If you find yourself confused mid-game, I recommend to stop, turn off the clock, and think on it as hard as you can. Sometimes, you'll have this magical revelation. Other times, give it your best guess and watch J.Y.'s video afterwards.

• reannasaldivarreannasaldivar Alum Member
    17 karma

To improve drastically you must be able to do as many inferences as you can (this can vary from game to game) before diving into questions. In the event you do not know how to setup, I look to the first question, which is most likely the question that relates directly to the rules, to get an idea of how a correct setup looks like, and I will try to match and see how that came to be. The key is reading the game and figuring out how you are gonna write the pieces, whether sequence (order), in/out, grouping, or a mixture of some. During drills, it is best to dive into the game that you can do and skip another game, so you can use the remaining time to figure it out. Start with level 1 games to get the foundational knowledge of how to approach games and then increase difficulty when comfortable. I hope this helps!

• nathalievcastnathalievcast Core Member
    8 karma

What got me from missing 5-7 to 0-2 was skipping around and doing the if questions first and then must be true and could be true. It helped me so much with speed and accuracy!