Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reading Comp Review

ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
in General 3658 karma
LR sections= BR
Games= Fool-Proof Method

Reading Comp... how do you guys review?

Comments

• GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    Copious amounts of alcohol.
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited August 2015 3658 karma
    @"GSU Hopeful" That's a given. I don't review without my trusty bottle of whiskey next to me.
    1644 karma
    I will typically read the entire passage over again with no time limit. If it's one of those "WTF" passages that I just can't wrap my head around, I'll resort to the explanation. Then I'll go back to the questions that I circled. I use it similar to BR for LR; I try to go to the circled questions with as much of an in depth understanding of the passage as I can.
    3658 karma
    It sounds very boring...but I'll give it a go. Reading Comp is by far the worst section for me to review. I just get so bored.
    edited August 2015 1644 karma
    I have a hard time finding interest in ANY passages except Law. But, what has helped me is to at least feign an interest in it... which is when alcohol becomes a necessary condition.
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    let's all go take the LSAT hammered
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Just to clarify, BR is for every section... Fool-proofing is just an extra tactic for LG just like the memory method is an extra tactic for RC...so you should definitely do BR for RC or else you're not getting a true measure of your skills...
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    Word.

Re-read the passage ... Go through each Q and find explicit support for every Q in the passage. If you can't nail an AC down to a line reference (or at least support with line references), then you're not done.

I think either @DumbHollywoodActor or @nye8870 has a killer ethic on this (or both).
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    For RC, I usually spend sometime reviewing some notes that I've made because it's my worst section. My notes include things like..... what to look for/general questions that they ask/ways to attack (these notes came from the LSAT Trainer).

When I go through a PT, I print an extra copy of the LG and RC section and I go through each again with no time limit. For RC, I really slow down through the Questions and make sure I can find support in the passage for the answer choice I've chosen.
    Lately I've really taken my time to look at the questions I struggle with, which has helped me see the general structure/where they trap you!
    edited August 2015 3658 karma
    @harrismegan That's a good method. I'll give it a go. Spanks. :)

@DumbHollywoodActor Yo DHA! What say you about your RC method? Per @nicole.hopkins you know your RC stuff!
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    @ENTJ Okay. So it’s not earth shattering, but on Blind Review I like to write out all the thoughts I wish I had while doing it for timed. I’ll write out the main idea of every paragraph, or purpose. I’ll write out the main idea of the passage. I’ll note what supports or opposes any points in the passage. I’ll try to find the scale (A vs. B) of the passage, especially for Law passages, a la Manhattan RC book. I’ll try to find ideas that can be pushed back (something JY is constantly saying). And I’ll try to summarize the paragraphs in as abstract language as I can (i.e. Paragraph 2 introduces a phenomenon and discuses 2 possible explanations for that phenomenon. Paragraph 3 then opposes the first explanation and supports the second explanation, etc..). I like to categorize each question using Mike Kim’s guidelines in the Trainer. I write out why each answer choice is wrong (Sometimes that just means underlining a word or phrase that’s wrong, or saying that it’s a mismash of a bunch unrelated ideas). Finally, if it’s a detail question, I won’t continue on unless I have a re-statement or a synonym of the answer I will choose IN THE PASSAGE. For detail EXCEPT questions, I’ll do that 4 times for each incorrect answer. Those can take forever.

And I do it all completely drunk.
    3658 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor Wow. You have to be drunk to be able to do all of that...
    edited August 2015 7468 karma
    @ENTJ Well, I was pretty terrible at RC, so I knew I had to go hard or go home. But I’ve gone from pretty terrible (-18) on my diagnostic to mediocre (-5) on my last test, so it seems to be paying off somewhat. Still have a long way to go.
    7468 karma
    I also use the app Elevate, but I really can’t say for certain if that’s doing anything.
    3658 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor You're getting it done. Respect.