Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Addressing Talking Points Concerning International Students

zxc451zxc451 Core Member

Hi. I am an admission consultant specializing in college and graduate school admission for international students. I have dealt with many students from China. I think it is helpful to address a few talking points I see posted on forums on why international applicants have a disadvantage when applying to American law schools.

1. "Schools don't like international students because they may not have the ability to cover their tuition." Universities at both the undergraduate and graduate levels do not know whether international applicants can cover their tuition when they review their applications. They are mandated by immigration authorities to require international students to submit proof of financial support to their international student services. Chinese international students I worked with usually provide a bank deposit as proof. This process is necessary for them to obtain the F-1 document, which the U.S. Customs and Border Protection will review upon arrival. International students with the required funds do not need to worry about this factor.
  2. "Schools don't know how to interpret transcripts from non-American institutions." This one is tricky. I find that international students tend to have a lower undergraduate GPA than domestic students. Universities outside the U.S. might not have the same grading system or the same kind of academic standards. Sometimes the school just gives out Bs and Cs like candies. So it is hard to say whether transcripts might be a factor.
  3. "International students tend to have weaker applications." It is plain and simple. If you have weak qualifications, it will probably hurt your chances. But be careful not to make it about the applicant being international. A low LSAT score is just a low LSAT score. It has nothing to do with their citizenship status.
  4. "International students statistically fare worse than American students in the admission process." Again, please do not draw causal inferences based on correlations. Schools do not apply a higher level of scrutiny when reviewing international applications. It is erroneous to say to an international applicant that they have a disadvantage just because data says they do.