Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I feel discouraged or encouraged?

ev2k1ev2k1 Core Member
in General 109 karma

Hey, y’all.
I’m currently registered to take the February LSAT. For my study schedule, I’m taking a pre-test every Tuesday and spending an hour every other day studying, mainly because that’s all my work schedule allows for. So far, I’ve done two pre-tests and I’ve gotten a 140 and a 139, respectively. Should I feel discouraged that I haven’t seen any improvement or encouraged in the fact that I have some sort of consistency? Should I take the pre-test, then spend the rest of the week focusing on the explanation videos to see if something clicks? I don’t really want to take a gap year between graduating in May and law school, I just want a few more points (I scored a 140 in August), because I think my resume and extra curriculars can help me. Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• luffyyyyluffyyyy Live Member
    694 karma

have you completed the core curriculum ? If you have not, I would encourage you to do that first before you take any PTs. PTs are a measure of progress, but blindly taking PTs without having your foundations down may be a waste of PT. Just my two cents. But please don't feel discouraged! I know it is frustrating, but you will get better! Hang in there!

• ev2k1ev2k1 Core Member
    109 karma

I’ve finished each of the sections except logical reasoning, but logic games is my weakest subject. I’m averaging -14ish right now. It’s one where I don’t know if I can afford to take a gap year to study

• erica.karkierica.karki Alum Member
    4 karma

I don't think that you should give up hope. Maybe focus on the logic games when you're studying, creating copies of problem sets and redoing it over and over again? I struggled with logic games more than anything, brought a -14/-15 to a -5/-6 by doing that. Are you going through your incorrect answers on your Preptests?

• ev2k1ev2k1 Core Member
    109 karma

That’s what I’m going to start doing! I would do drills of logic games over and over, then watch the explanation videos. My plan now is to start watching the explanation videos of all of the sections and keep taking pre-tests once a week. Even though I’m not seeing a numerical improvement, I feel like I’m getting the hang of it

• ELWOODS24ELWOODS24 Live Member
    59 karma

If LG is your worst section, is there a reason you're not waiting until August to take it, so that you take it without LG?

• ev2k1ev2k1 Core Member
    109 karma

It just doesn’t make sense to me to postpone my career plans a year over one section. Why wait when I can just do my best to improve? With graduating in May and being used to a break over the summer and then back to school in the fall, it makes the most sense. I have the scores to get into decent law school, I’m just shooting for my goal school at this point.

• JDream2025JDream2025 Alum Member
    996 karma

You can improve LG with 3 months of solid studying and take it in June. You can easily gain 25 points from this section alone. I was at -16 but now I’m at -4 or -2. If you don’t want to do this, then wait until August to take it without the LG section. Please understand that taking a gap year to improve your score is only beneficial for you long term. A better score means more money in your pocket and less loans to take out. Best of luck in whatever you decide!

• ronnie.ronaldson49ronnie.ronaldson49 Core Member
    19 karma

From what I understand, you're planning to apply this spring for admittance this fall? Okay, if that's the case, obviously don't wait till the summer to take it. If you want to gain just a few more points, LG is where you should definitely concentrate upon. It's the most improvable area, and you can very easily pick up a few more points from there! Just really focus on setting up your game board and making those initial inferences. Once you become good at that, the questions will become super duper simple!

• ev2k1ev2k1 Core Member
    109 karma

Definitely! I took it in August to establish my baseline, and this February attempt is to just bump a few points up. I got a 140 and think I can get a 150 focusing on LG. I'm definitely not waiting, but I have a decent GPA and extra curriculars and resume! Thanks for all of the help!