Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Application Fee Waivers

on_the_brinkon_the_brink Alum Member

I applied for a fee waiver through the LSAC for my applications but was instantly denied since I disclosed my parents' income information on the form. I have to pay for my applications myself and plan to send them out by the end of the month (I am taking the Jan LSAT) but don't know how I will be able to pay for them myself since I won't have help from my parents. Has anyone had any experience with emailing admissions offices asking them directly for fee waivers? Does it look bad to ask? Is it too late to ask? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• wimoeller71wimoeller71 Yearly + Live Member
    72 karma

I emailed a waiver request yesterday and they gave me a code today. I expressed my interest in the school and I'm taking the Lsat in Feb

• YaleOrFailYaleOrFail Live Member
    213 karma

Absolutely email every school you want to attend and provide reasoning along with your LSAC # and often they will provide a waiver. Keep in mind, the CAS fee will typically still be required, but it still saves the bulk of the costs.

• kaybyrdykaybyrdy Live Member
    edited January 6 31 karma

I was instantly denied for the LSAC fee waiver as well, but appealed and received one! Just wanted to throw that out there in case you haven't tried.

• tonitonitonitoni Live Member
    11 karma

depending on how you do on the lsat in jan, if you havent taken the test, schools will email you through LSAC referral with waivers....both apps and cas waivers.

• on_the_brinkon_the_brink Alum Member
    49 karma

@tonitoni how well would I have to do on the LSAT to receive those waivers? I already paid for CAS and am taking the Jan LSAT on Thursday.

• on_the_brinkon_the_brink Alum Member
    49 karma

@kaybyrdy I thought about doing that! If you don't mind sharing, what did you include in your appeal that helped your case?

• kaybyrdykaybyrdy Live Member
    31 karma

@on_the_brink In my letter, I discussed my focus on full-time LSAT studying. While I can't pinpoint what specifically aided my case, I did include my transcript and a letter of non-filing. I recommend taking the time to explain why a fee waiver would benefit you personally and submitting an appeal. At the very least, there's nothing to lose by trying.