Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How accurate is this assessment regarding URM avg LSAT and GPA?

sarahislamsarahislam Alum Member
edited January 10 in Law School Admissions 111 karma

Dear all,

I came across this article on avg URM LSAT and GPA by school but it is from 2017 and was wondering how accurate it is. I have not been able to find anything more recent:

https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/do-underrepresented-minority-urm-applicants-have-a-law-school-admissions-advantage/

It basically goes through a dataset of admitted/rejected applicants and shows which schools have lower LSAT/GPA medians for URMs versus their overall medians.

Thanks,

Comments

• madisonbt98madisonbt98 Core Member
    31 karma

Due to the Supreme Court's decision this summer, this is no longer accurate at all. Colleges no longer have access to race demographics before admitting a student, and we will not know how that will play out differently for URMs until this upcoming cycle is completed.

• AlexLSAT.AlexLSAT. Alum Member
    edited January 10 797 karma

@sarahislam said:
    Dear all,

I came across this article on avg URM LSAT and GPA by school but it is from 2017 and was wondering how accurate it is. I have not been able to find anything more recent:

https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/do-underrepresented-minority-urm-applicants-have-a-law-school-admissions-advantage/

It basically goes through a dataset of admitted/rejected applicants and shows which schools have lower LSAT/GPA medians for URMs versus their overall medians.

Thanks,

Not sure how accurate it is now, but without a doubt URM applicants still receive a boost in admissions, especially at the T14 level.

• AlexLSAT.AlexLSAT. Alum Member
    797 karma

@madisonbt98 said:
    Due to the Supreme Court's decision this summer, this is no longer accurate at all. Colleges no longer have access to race demographics before admitting a student, and we will not know how that will play out differently for URMs until this upcoming cycle is completed.

There are still many ways for admissions to see URM status for applicants without their race demographics. Supplemental materials such as a personal statement, addendums, or school specific essays (Harvard Statement of Perspective, amongst others) can reflect this. As for law school decisions, not sure how the Supreme Court decision will actually change the cycle, but my guess is not by much.

• sarahislamsarahislam Alum Member
    111 karma

@"AlexLSAT." said:

@madisonbt98 said:

There are still many ways for admissions to see URM status for applicants without their race demographics. Supplemental materials such as a personal statement, addendums, or school specific essays (Harvard Statement of Perspective, amongst others) can reflect this. As for law school decisions, not sure how the Supreme Court decision will actually change the cycle, but my guess is not by much.

That is the general buzz I have been hearing too-that the Supreme Court ruling won't actually change outcomes all that much in the sense that law schools still very much want to admit URMs and will do so even if their gpa/lsat are lower. It would just be harder to determine who a URM is since this now must be articulated through essays. I guess we will have to see what happens.