Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Studying when Burnt Out (outside of LSAT prep)

polar.robepolar.robe Live Member
in General 16 karma

I've studied off and on for the LSATs for a while, but never seem to stick to it. I take a PT, get super excited about my score, then spent 2-3 weeks spending all my time focusing on it. Then around that 3-4 week mark, I start making excuses like "my brain just isn't in the right place" until I stop completely.

I don't want to do that anymore. That said, I've started working fulltime and have much less time to spend studying for the LSATs than I used to. I can force myself to study before work starts, yet I'm usually still waking up at this time and don't feel like my mind is all there. If I tell myself I'll study later when I'm more attentive, but I can't keep my focus on it later at night and can only spend half an hour or so on it. I'm taking ADHD meds but primarily for my work day, since I don't want to get fired.

My question is, is there a point to studying when tired? Is it better to spend more time in the morning when I'm not fully awake, or less time when I am but don't have 100% of my attention on it?

I know neither is ideal, but I want to actually stick to this and have it mean something rather than throwing my time away.

Comments

• lucasjameszieglerlucasjamesziegler Core Member
    380 karma

When running into this issue, sometimes less is more. I would start with consistently focusing on 1 quality hour a day and then build from there.

I typically do an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon. Weekends I will take a test and review.

If you feel yourself getting burnt out after 3-4 weeks, take a few days off and re-charge.