Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

rymertz1rymertz1 Core Member

I’m graduating two years early from undergrad. I’m pretty much dead set going straight in law school with applications do admissions, take consideration? Will it lower my chances of getting because I’m 19? Never thought of this but stuff online is freaking me out. Stats are good and scores, only concern is my age lol

Comments

• AlexLSAT.AlexLSAT. Alum Member
    edited February 12 797 karma

Do you have work experience and/or internships? If you're KJD with no resume building info it might be a little more difficult to get scholarships and admitted to some of the top schools. Overall, I think your GPA/LSAT matter a lot more, which you seem like you're good on.

• JDream2025JDream2025 Alum Member
    990 karma

Why not get an internship or a part time work in the legal field to get some experience in? I think it would be beneficial.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

So long as your app doesn't flag maturity issues, you'll be fine with good stats. Maybe just make sure your ECs are decent to show some kind of experience. I'm at a T14 that skews younger. One of my clinic partners is graduated UG at 17, did a masters, and will be 21 when he gets his JD. We also regularly admit UG juniors as part of a 3+3 program. I think plowing through school "early" is fine for professionals that know what they want to do.

• sarahislamsarahislam Alum Member
    111 karma

On principal I don't think it is a problem. I had a friend who graduated two years early as well and went to a T-16 at 19 years old. Since there was nothing in her academic record indicating maturity problems, she had no issue getting admitted. The question for you might more be: would you perhaps benefit from spending more time doing some outside work and would that bring more to your application too?

The one big con my friend who graduated two years early told me about her law school experience is that she felt alot less experienced than her colleagues at navigating workplace politics and faculty relationships. This is the sort of thing you develop experience with if you have worked for a couple of years or gotten a graduate degree and worked directly with faculty (soft skills, workplace diplomacy, etc). It's all the stuff no one actually teaches you in a classroom. In a nutshell, none of this is necessary to apply but might be beneficial to you once you are in law school.