Diversity statement/addendums - do I need it?

Adrian CAdrian C Alum Member

I have a 3.2 GPA because I did my undergrad online while working and I suffered somewhat with splitting time spent at work and time spent doing school. I worked in order to pay for my degree.

I also have a 151 LSAT. I want to go to NIU so I'm around the median but I still want to amplify my chances.

Here's my question - should I write a GPA addendum?

secondly, in regards to diversity statements. I am a literal WASP, haha, so I don't know if it's even worth writing one. My parents are immigrants and I'm strongly into my faith. Should I write something about those attributes or just forget it? what other "diverse" attributes should I think about? I do a lot of volunteering with youth (which is already in my resume and personal statement).

Comments

• I am DavisI am Davis Core Member
    61 karma

My honest opinion is to skip the diversity statement unless you truly feel you have a "diverse" attribute that is worth highlighting. If your parents being immigrants played a major part in your upbringing and you want to address that then by all means write it. But if not, some schools may view a half-hearted diversity statement as worse than none at all. You mentioned addressing your other positive personal attributes in the personal statement which is a great alternative approach. You could also offer an addendum to address your GPA if NIU offers that.

If NIU is your target school then the safest way to raise your chances would be to boost your LSAT to a few points over the median! It's not easy but it is a surer bet than relying on any supplemental materials.

• gurchit.chathagurchit.chatha Core Member
    24 karma

Definitely write the diversity statement. Dont just look at it through the lens of race. Did you grow up lower income? Did you go to community college? Were you a college athlete? Do you work in a field almost no one in law school works in? Did you grow up in a rural rather than urban area? Do your volunteer / professional experiences demonstrate a continued commitment to your faith group? Etc. Nailing your diversity statement literally just means writing about the one (or few) thing(s) that've meaningfully shaped you that very few people in your potential class are likely to be able to claim for themselves. Obviously some diversity qualities are weighted higher than others (for example, being a low income Native American probably provides one of the greatest boosts), but that shouldn't discourage you from highlighting what diverse view you'd bring to a law school campus. You're probably doing yourself a disservice by skipping it, which tells schools you're not willing to take an additional step to fill in optional parts of the application. Finally, be truly reflective about this. Everyone has something unique they bring. I agree with the other commenter that if you're not thinking through it well, you're can rub readers the wrong way / come off as ignorant. Do it, and do it well.

• kira.hamiltonkira.hamilton Core Member
    2 karma

I personally wouldn’t write the addendum for your GPA unless something significant happened in your life. Unfortunately I don’t think saying that online school wasn’t a good fit for you or that working while doing your degree caused your GPA is good enough for an addendum. About 40% of full time students work while doing their degree.

• daniel__daniel__ Live Member
    edited March 4 39 karma

Keep in mind everyone has a unique background. In your situation it doesn't sound like a diversity statement would do much to set yourself apart from other WASP students. Your volunteer experience should already be on your CV.

While a diversity statement should never be used to discount a candidate, I would be afraid of a too-ordinary diversity statement rubbing an admissions committee the wrong way. You want something that will land your application in the "Admit" pile should they be on the fence. A lackluster diversity statement isn't going to encourage anyone to put your file there.

I see that NIU has a 62% acceptance rate and you're right at the 162 / 3.2 median. That alongside your work experience should get you admitted.