Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Large LSAT score fluctuations

gsmiley13gsmiley13 Alum Member
edited April 6 in General 22 karma

I am planning on taking the June LSAT, predominantly due to LG being my best section, but I am worried about getting to my goal score (minimum 169) due to heavy score fluctuations. Some days I reach 170 and then immediately drop to a 162. I am an undergraduate student currently and am trying to balance my coursework and job with studying for the LSAT, so I know stress has probably played a role with this, especially with weakening my test stamina. Still, these fluctuations are giving me anxiety considering how close it is to June and so any advice on how to start getting more consistent results and improve my timing would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• godawgs333godawgs333 Live Member
    19 karma

I have the same problem!!

• hendrickshendricks Live Member
    401 karma

I am experiencing it too. From what I understand it is very normal. If we keep at it, we will be stable and above 170 before we know it!

• StudyingInConnecticutStudyingInConnecticut Alum Member
    26 karma

Are you taking your practice tests under the same conditions every time? I would do it on a Saturday or Sunday morning when you are feeling good and fresh.
    1-2 PT per week is sufficient, if you do more you could burn out or see score decreases.
    What is your average PT? What is your highest PT?

• nicholas.leon96nicholas.leon96 Alum Member
    198 karma

Remember what they say, the PTs are more like a thermometer rather than a thermostat. Really scrutinize why your score drops on those PTs where you perform lower and zero in on those critical weaknesses. Getting into the 170 with any regularity, I doubt your problems come from not knowing the content so it's probably something to do with the timing.

For me, text anxiety gave me a lot of trouble, which was something new for me to deal with because for my entire life I never got test anxiety; and that's because the LSAT is different, I felt like my entire future was riding on the test, which isnt true! This goes beyond test taking strategies, but since you are still in undergrad, maybe you should take a serious look at whether you are going to apply for this upcoming cycle or if you're going to wait. Knowing that you will get extra chances might alleviate some of the stress of taking the test in June.

• gsmiley13gsmiley13 Alum Member
    22 karma

@StudyingInConnecticut Those are fair questions. I take one full 4-section PT every Saturday at the same time. My semester ends next week, so after that I will probably bump up the amount of full timed PTs to 2 a week maximum. So I am trying to keep things consistent, but life happens haha. My average currently is a 164, 165 and high is a 171.